Thread: KDF-55 or KDF-85 for standard 10" housing

mrfisher is offline Junior Member

Arrow KDF-55 or KDF-85 for standard 10" housing

I cannot find any KDF55 or KDF85 media filters for standard 10" housing. Do you have any available?

thank you.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

They are available at many locations. What is the call fo these filters? What water are you tryiong to treat and what is the desired effect?

You can get re-fillable housings and preplace the media as needed by buying in bulk. This is cheaper in the long run.

Andy Christensen, CWS

I'm on municipal water. I do however have elevated levels of arsenic (EPA standards are too lenient IMO) and iron after taste. I also would like KDF to remove chlorine so two carbon filters that follow will have more capacity for MTBE and VOC. I also like copper's bacteriostatic properties which, I guess, should slow down the growth of algae and bacteria within carbon filters extending their life. I'm counting on Reverse Osmosis at POU to remove the copper.

Btw, should I use a sediment filter before KDF even if I have low turbidity (within EPA standards)?

thanks.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default KDF Filters

Hi,

We currently do not carry any 10" KDF filters, however, we can certainly order some. Please indicate what size you need 2.5" diameter or 4.5" diameter. I will not have pricing available on these until we get them in but we are always happy to accomodate our customer requests when we can.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Thank you. I already placed another order with someone else. It would be nice however to get eveything I need through filtersfast in the future. For your reference I purchased 10" filter with 1lb KDF85+GAC media.

regards.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

KDF-55 is recommended for chlorine treatment. 85 is normally for well water with trace hydrogen sulfide and light iron. The 85 will, nonetheless, help extend any post carbon. I am not familiar with KDF and its use for arsenic. What information to you have that leads you to believe so?

A prefilter wouldn't hurt due to occasional water main breaks and other service issues.

An RO is always a good idea for drinking water.

Andy Christensen, CWS

I am not familiar with KDF and its use for arsenic. What information to you have that leads you to believe so?

Good question. I found that some sites idicate that KDF+GAC remove inorganic Arsenic (it might be that GAC is removing it).

I did more search just now. It seems that nano iron oxide is the next best thing when removing Arsenic (especially Trivalent As). Some sites indicate that ZVI (zero valent iron) like H200 by hepure is also good (with the advantage of removing perchlorite as well). None of the two substances are available for sale though.

I'm on chloramine treated water so I think KDF85 should do fine (I'm assuming KDF55 is formulated with higher zinc content to react with chlorine found in municipal water - less and less as it's replaced by chloramine).