Thread: filter system compatible with copper line

bdozeraz is offline Junior Member

Default filter system compatible with copper line

I was planning on installing an RO system under my sink to supply water to the icemaker in my refrigerator. I found out I cannot run the water through the copper line due to its corrosivness after being filtered. My line to my refrigerator is already plumbed through the wall and is copper.

Is there an undersink filter system that I can use that is ok to run the filtered water through the copper line? Or would I be better off to put an inline filter behind the refrigerator or just use the filter that is in the refrigerator?

Thanks,
    Brent

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default water line issues

Quote Originally Posted by bdozeraz
    I was planning on installing an RO system under my sink to supply water to the icemaker in my refrigerator. I found out I cannot run the water through the copper line due to its corrosivness after being filtered. My line to my refrigerator is already plumbed through the wall and is copper.

Is there an undersink filter system that I can use that is ok to run the filtered water through the copper line? Or would I be better off to put an inline filter behind the refrigerator or just use the filter that is in the refrigerator?

Thanks,
    Brent
    Hi Brent,

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you "found out" you can't run the filtered water through your copper line because the line is corroded? If that is the case I would just get an inline filter for the fridge b/c any undersink system you use, no matter which one, the water will still have to travel in the water line from under the sink to your fridge. And if your water line is rusty or corroded then yes, there is the chance that the filtered water will pick up debris on it's way to the fridge.

Now, if you're stating that you heard that it's not safe to run filtered water through a copper water line that's simply not true.

I understand that the water line in your home is in an inconvienent place so for convenience sake I would suggest the inline filter, however you can buy plastic or copper water line at any Home Depot or Lowes.

Hope this helps.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

What I meant was, the instructions in the reverse osmosis system said to not use copper line to connect to the RO faucet or to an ice maker because the filtered water would corrode the copper. My line to the refrigerator is plumbed from under the sink through the wall to a pocket in the wall behind the refrigerator. I have seen other filters, single and multi stage, that mount under the sink. Can I use one of these with out causing harm to the copper line? Are the reverse osmosis systems the only ones that cause a problem with the copper? Or should I, like you said, just hang an inline filter behind the refrigerator? Are the inline filters any better than the ones that are already in the refrigerators?

I hope this clears up what I am trying to get across and thanks again for the help.

Brent

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Water line...

Quote Originally Posted by bdozeraz
    What I meant was, the instructions in the reverse osmosis system said to not use copper line to connect to the RO faucet or to an ice maker because the filtered water would corrode the copper. My line to the refrigerator is plumbed from under the sink through the wall to a pocket in the wall behind the refrigerator. I have seen other filters, single and multi stage, that mount under the sink. Can I use one of these with out causing harm to the copper line? Are the reverse osmosis systems the only ones that cause a problem with the copper? Or should I, like you said, just hang an inline filter behind the refrigerator? Are the inline filters any better than the ones that are already in the refrigerators?

I hope this clears up what I am trying to get across and thanks again for the help.

Brent
    Hi Brent,

Ok, I see what you are saying now. Sorry for the confusion. After speaking to an expert at one of our manufacturers I found out RO water is in fact, not recommended for use with Copper or Brass piping. It apparently tends to cause corrision in these metal vessels. However, they did confirm that this is only the case with RO water. So, you can, in fact use another type of undersink filtration system, just not Reverse Osmosis.

As for the question to whether or not an inline filter would be better than the filter you have in your fridge, that just depends on what filter you have in your fridge. Some fridge filters only remove chlorine taste & odor, others remove alot more. So it just depends. Hope this helps. Thanks and sorry again for the confusion.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Thank you for the information. You have cleared things up for me.

Brent