new install recommendation
I have good municipal water versus a problem to solve, but would like to remove the bad trace stuff and chlorine from my drinking/cooking water. I'd like a recommendation balanced across what I've learned and what I suspect from observation about my supply.
1. I'm looking at aquasana for under sink as it appears to be the best price performance of cost versus what it takes out -and I want one that takes out pretty much all this type does, leaving in the good stuff, like trace minerals, BUT
2. I'm betting that what most manufacturers have to do what the Aquasana does is fairly standard - maybe I'm wrong - but the goal would be to have a unit that allows me to replace the filter elements with something standard in the industry such that if the manufacturer goes under or their prices take a significant turn, I can get "brand x" replacements.
3. We have significant lime at certain times of the year, especially when the water supply (river) is low. Water spots on the car, floaties in ice cubes, as well as the fact that they flush hydrants almost every year causing rust for a couple days in any one area. So this second question I have is, should I get a whole house sediment/rust to prefilter, helping my water heater and lengthening how often I need to replace the under-counter, or would you expect this is not cost effective. I can't find a water bill, but I'd say we're at about 2.5 folks of normal usage (college son home some).
Can you recommend a solution for undercounter based on items 1 & 2, and what do you think about the cost effectiveness of the whole house pre-filter, will it help enough to justify the extra expense or am I chasing my tail on this part? Thanks!
Thanks for the input, we can agree to disagree
My opinion is, trace minerals are important and:
1. DO come from water and food, not just food.
2. when water becomes too pure, as in distillation or RO, it's solvent abilities, hence ability to act as free radical, increase, aging the body.
3. RO is EXTREMELY inefficient and water wasteful to solve what I'm trying to solve.
Everybody's got their preferences, clearly your's is RO, and that's fine, just not what I'm looking to do.