Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: kinetico model 100 brine question

  1. #21
    Andy CWS is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    750

    Default

    GARY SLUSSER:
    No one was talking of pouring a powder on the salt.

    I know that it's true that you shouldn't pour water down through the salt, for any reason.
    I disagree. When salt is bridged, pour hot water down to break it up. This is better than the old steel rod I see sitting next to the brine drum. Pour water in the tank will ot cause the salt to bridge---just the opposite.

    And the solution that is soaked up in that salt isn't going to get to the resin any quicker than pouring the powder on the salt would.
    I find this VERY strange. Powder will lay on TOP of the salt it is poured on while the mixed solution goes right down to the bottom along with the water getting to the next regenerated cycle. You should know that is true.
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 03-20-2010 at 06:36 AM.

  2. #22
    Andy CWS is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy
    who remembers the first time they inhaled a good lung full of that stuff. the stuff I use has a nice minty smell so at first you think "hmmm, doesn't smell that bad to me" (cuz you were warned about it)...and then a few minutes later your lungs are on fire and you're coughing like an emphysema patient. good times.
    Exactly. Whenever I do personal follow ups on my customers...new or old, I quickly look around for a few clues: a steel rod, jar of Vasoline, and a jar of Irom Magic. If there is some Iron Magic, I avoid lifting or very carefully lift the brine drum lid. If I do it too quickly, a ton of Irom Magic comes up with it and pooph, a big inhale and multiple coughs soon follow.

    Mixing the iron our powder with water and pouring it inot the druj is a very convenient and easy way to avoid it. Besides, the iron out solution gets down through the salt much faster...and you are not breathing it in. Every customer I tell this to appreicates that little piece of good advice.

    Get rid of the steel rod and Vasoline, too....

    Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 03-06-2010 at 06:01 AM.

  3. #23
    Gary Slusser is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever we park the motor home.
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    I know that it's true that you shouldn't pour water down through the salt, for any reason.
    I disagree. When salt is bridged, pour hot water down to break it up. This is better than the old steel rod I see sitting next to the brine drum. Pour water in the tank will ot cause the salt to bridge---just the opposite.
    Really, pouring water down through salt doesn't cause bridging.... Since you mistakenly think that, tell us what causes bridging IYO?

    And the solution that is soaked up in that salt isn't going to get to the resin any quicker than pouring the powder on the salt would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    I find this VERY strange. Powder will lay on TOP of the salt it is poured on while the mixed solution goes right down to the bottom along with the water getting to the next regenerated cycle. You should know that is true.
    That's due to your inexperience in servicing softeners. What causes bridging IYO if not water?

  4. #24
    NH Master is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    What he said was to mix the solution and pour it over the salt, not just the IO (powder). And wetting salt can easily cause bridging ,especially if the salt is pelletized salt.


    Originally Posted by NH Master
    Sounds great all-round. When adding iron-out (powder) I would take it outside and with a gallon of water in a bucket, add about two heaping tablespoons carefully into the water and let it dissolve. Then pour the water into the brine drum before adding salt. If salt is already in it, then over the salt won't hurt anything, eventually it will get into the regen stage.
    Are you dyslexic or just illiterate? go back and read the thread (if you can) I as in ME as In I did not post that, I re-printed it so that perhaps you would read it but alas, like usual, you only read what you want to read.

    Just to be clear though, when I add Iron out, I mix it with water and pour it slowly down the edge of the drum, not right down the center. However I'll bet you that spiffy motor home of yours that I could make a couple hundred pours straight down the middle and never get a single salt bridge. Care to take up the wager?
    Last edited by NH Master; 03-06-2010 at 05:33 PM.

  5. #25
    Gary Slusser is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wherever we park the motor home.
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    Are you dyslexic or just illiterate? go back and read the thread (if you can) I as in ME as In I did not post that, I re-printed it so that perhaps you would read it but alas, like usual, you only read what you want to read.

    Just to be clear though, when I add Iron out, I mix it with water and pour it slowly down the edge of the drum, not right down the center. However I'll bet you that spiffy motor home of yours that I could make a couple hundred pours straight down the middle and never get a single salt bridge. Care to take up the wager?
    Here is the quote of what Andy said and I said he said and then you quoted it. He says mix the powder into a gallon of water and pour it down through the salt.

    *************
    Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    When adding iron-out (powder) I would take it outside and with a gallon of water in a bucket, add about two heaping tablespoons carefully into the water and let it dissolve. Then pour the water into the brine drum before adding salt.

    If salt is already in it, then over the salt won't hurt anything, eventually it will get into the regen stage.

    Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    *********************

    Doing that can cause salt bridging.

  6. #26
    Andy CWS is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ram
    thanks andy for your help it is greatly appriciated i will try that and let you know.

    You're welcome. I am sorry your thread has deteriorated like it has. We are trying to resolves these problems. You can contact me for more help.

    Take care,
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •