Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kinetico model 100 brine question

ram
    ram is offline Junior Member

Default kinetico model 100 brine question

I picked up a kenitico model 100 twin tank system the other day that was refurbished last year. I have it all installed but i am uncertain as to how high the water level in my brine tank should be above the grid. This system shows a disc seven through the site glass. My water hardness is 82 and iron is 3 from the bits and pieces of information i can get off the internet a disc seven should work good with my water condition. My brine tank is 18 x 35 I read on one site something about salt settings and float settings i see the marks on the float rod but do not see anything about salt setting (P or R) which i read on one site. Also this sytem has been unhooked for about three months with water stil in the tanks do I need to do anything special or just do a manual regeneration on each of the tanks or multiple regenerations. How long do i need to let the brine tank sit with the salt before each regeneration. One other question can you make the water to soft and does anyone know a web site that has manuals for this system looking for installation, owners, repair manuals.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks a bunch

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Your water is very challenging. Depending on the age and condition of the resins, a disk seven may work, but you could advance it to a disk 8 (max) if need be later. But you are near the maximum setting for that condition of water. I would have recommended a K-175 but you got yours second hand.

The water should rise about an inch or two above the grid plate.

If it sat for a few months then it won't be hurt. Just put it trhough a couple of regenerations with an iron-out cleanser. Let the salt sit for about an hour or more before putting it forth into another reg. Look at the lens on top of the valve, is it clear? Did you put a prefilter on it?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

ram

It had a sticker on the tank that it was reloaded with resin and the head rebuilt in mar of 08 Plus i picked it up for 300.00
    So do I add the iron-out into the brine tank water? with or with out salt in it? Yes i have a pre filter on the system. The top of the lens is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by ram
    It had a sticker on the tank that it was reloaded with resin and the head rebuilt in mar of 08 Plus i picked it up for 300.00
    So do I add the iron-out into the brine tank water? with or with out salt in it? Yes i have a pre filter on the system. The top of the lens is clear.
    Sounds great all-round. When adding iron-out (powder) I would take it outside and with a gallon of water in a bucket, add about two heaping tablespoons carefully into the water and let it dissolve. Then pour the water into the brine drum before adding salt. If salt is already in it, then over the salt won't hurt anything, eventually it will get into the regen stage.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 09-17-2009 at 02:52 AM.

ram

thanks andy for your help it is greatly appriciated i will try that and let you know.

You're welcome. Take care.
    Andy

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    Sounds great all-round. When adding iron-out (powder) I would take it outside and with a gallon of water in a bucket, add about two heaping tablespoons carefully into the water and let it dissolve. Then pour the water into the brine drum before adding salt. If salt is already in it, then over the salt won't hurt anything, eventually it will get into the regen stage.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Two tablespoons.... and take it outside! It sounds as if you haven't done this much, but then with the Kinetico toy model softeners, that might work but...

Pouring the water down through the salt can easily cause a salt bridge to develop.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

Yea Andy, shame on you. What he should do is tear it out and buy one from Gary. After all, what do you know about Kinetico equipment other than the fact that you've been selling and installing it for years because its really pretty damn good equipment.

So you mistakenly think Andy is out installing and/or servicing the Kinetico equipment he sells huh. Guess again but if he was he would know how to use Iron Out and to not pour water down through salt if possible.

Hmmmmmm. theres that smell again...

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    So you mistakenly think Andy is out installing and/or servicing the Kinetico equipment he sells huh. Guess again but if he was he would know how to use Iron Out and to not pour water down through salt if possible.
    Then since you know, you must install?? Right??
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

When adding iron-out (powder) I would take it outside and with a gallon of water in a bucket, add about two heaping tablespoons carefully into the water and let it dissolve.

Then pour the water into the brine drum before adding salt. If salt is already in it, then over the salt won't hurt anything, eventually it will get into the regen stage.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Eventually is not now when he is doing the multiple regenerations.

IMO this is bad advice because there is little sense in doing the regenerations without the resin cleaner getting "into the regen stage". And pouring the solution in/on the salt means it won't until that section of salt is used as salt brine "eventually" which may be a week plus from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    IMO this is bad advice because there is little sense in doing the regenerations without the resin cleaner getting "into the regen stage". And pouring the solution in/on the salt means it won't until that section of salt is used as salt brine "eventually" which may be a week plus from now.
    Of course. pouring a powder on the salt won't go to the the bottom and won't be effective until the salt dissolvs to that point, but mixing it with water goes DIRECTLY to the water at the base and is effective on the next regenertation. Come on Gary, you know that is true.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Of course. pouring a powder on the salt won't go to the the bottom and won't be effective until the salt dissolvs to that point, but mixing it with water goes DIRECTLY to the water at the base and is effective on the next regenertation. Come on Gary, you know that is true.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    No one was talking of pouring a powder on the salt.

I know that it's true that you shouldn't pour water down through the salt, for any reason. And the solution that is soaked up in that salt isn't going to get to the resin any quicker than pouring the powder on the salt would. You should get WQA certified in installation in addition to your salesmen CWS II.

Why are we beating this horse, the OP has already thanked Andy and moved on. However, just to help clarify things, here's Andy's origional post

Where exactly does it say to leave the salt in the brine tank? It would be real helpful if the posts were actually read and comprehended before critisism was launched.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    Why are we beating this horse, the OP has already thanked Andy and moved on.
    I was talking to Andy

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master

Where exactly does it say to leave the salt in the brine tank? It would be real helpful if the posts were actually read and comprehended before critisism was launched.
    Where? In bold above.

It would be real helpful if the posts were actually read and comprehended before criticism was launched.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

either way works. dumping the powder onto the salt works slower and is less concentrated. adding to water and dumping down into the well is a good way to help a unit that has never been treated and has an iron issue. and, going outside is always a good idea with the fumes that that stuff creates. I don't understand why that was even debated or brought up. I've never had a bridging issue from dumping the powder onto the salt. just my unasked for 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy
    either way works. dumping the powder onto the salt works slower and is less concentrated. adding to water and dumping down into the well is a good way to help a unit that has never been treated and has an iron issue. and, going outside is always a good idea with the fumes that that stuff creates. I don't understand why that was even debated or brought up. I've never had a bridging issue from dumping the powder onto the salt. just my unasked for 2 cents.
    Precisely
    There is much ado about nothing---sometimes.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

who remembers the first time they inhaled a good lung full of that stuff. the stuff I use has a nice minty smell so at first you think "hmmm, doesn't smell that bad to me" (cuz you were warned about it)...and then a few minutes later your lungs are on fire and you're coughing like an emphysema patient. good times.

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy
    What he said was to mix the solution and pour it over the salt, not just the IO (powder). And wetting salt can easily cause bridging ,especially if the salt is pelletized salt.

Originally Posted by NH Master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast