Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help setting up used Kinetico

jetjunkie is offline Junior Member

Default Need help setting up used Kinetico

I am looking for Andy! I was referred here from another forum. Here are my questions. Thanks so much, in advance.

Hello! I just acquired a slightly used Mach system and RO unit for our new home on a new well. Slightly used is approx 2 yrs old. It appears to be in great condition. I had the plumber out to the house this morning to hook the unit up and a few other things. He had everything connected and turned on the water. The pre filter began to leak a ton! We checked numerous time to determine if it was just not connected properly. No luck. The rubber seal appears to be in pretty good condition but my only guess is that it needs replaced. Can I order a replacement? Is there perhaps a different problem?

Additionally, the "gear" in the head unit is either a 6 or a 9. I believe I need a 3 or 4??? If I remember correctly we have 3 parts of iron and either 10 or 30 of hardness. (I know kind of a range. I will try to determine what it really is). I think I need a 4 because I believe that is what the rep that came out and tested the water said. Can I get and install a new gear?

Lastly, is there a fitting that will allow me to interface my RO unit to my manablock?

Looking forward to the claimed glory of this unit!

Thank you in advance!

NG

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I am looking for Andy! I was referred here from another forum. Here are my questions. Thanks so much, in advance.
    Hello and thank you. Not sure from where or by whom you were referred but thank you.

Hello! I just acquired a slightly used Mach system and RO unit for our new home on a new well. Slightly used is approx 2 yrs old. It appears to be in great condition.
    One problem I have seen when 'acquiring' a system from another location, is that it may not be properly set for your particular water conditions. This can either cause it to run (regenerate) more often and waste salt and water or not enough causing hardness/iron to come through.

I had the plumber out to the house this morning to hook the unit up and a few other things. He had everything connected and turned on the water. The pre filter began to leak a ton!
    Is this a Kinetico pre-filter or a generic one? Most leaks come from not being tightened enough (but never over-tighten), a crack, or faulty o-ring which can include dirt in the groove, etc. Have all of these been eliminated?

We checked numerous time to determine if it was just not connected properly. No luck. The rubber seal appears to be in pretty good condition but my only guess is that it needs replaced. Can I order a replacement? Is there perhaps a different problem?
    Precise part description is needed. Do you have a photo?

Additionally, the "gear" in the head unit is either a 6 or a 9.
    It has to be a 6 because there is no #9.

I believe I need a 3 or 4???
    How have you come to this conclusion? What model number do you have? Size of tanks?

If I remember correctly we have 3 parts of iron and either 10 or 30 of hardness. (I know kind of a range. I will try to determine what it really is).
    Yes, that is vital. get both accurate hardness and iron readings.

I think I need a 4 because I believe that is what the rep that came out and tested the water said. Can I get and install a new gear?
    If you are looking to do it yourself, your local dealer may be able to help yu out with parts.

Lastly, is there a fitting that will allow me to interface my RO unit to my manablock?
    What is a manablock?

Andy

Thank you in advance!

NG

Default Kinetico System Set-up

See replies below your comments and questions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    Hello and thank you. Not sure from where or by whom you were referred but thank you.Thank you for the reply Andy!

Hello! I just acquired a slightly used Mach system and RO unit for our new home on a new well. Slightly used is approx 2 yrs old. It appears to be in great condition.
    One problem I have seen when 'acquiring' a system from another location, is that it may not be properly set for your particular water conditions. This can either cause it to run (regenerate) more often and waste salt and water or not enough causing hardness/iron to come through.Yes. I believe that is true in this case. However, it is my understanding that I can calibrate it to my conditions with a new disc that is rated for my conditions. Is that true?

I had the plumber out to the house this morning to hook the unit up and a few other things. He had everything connected and turned on the water. The pre filter began to leak a ton!
    Is this a Kinetico pre-filter or a generic one? Most leaks come from not being tightened enough (but never over-tighten), a crack, or faulty o-ring which can include dirt in the groove, etc. Have all of these been eliminated?It is a Kinetico pre-filter. It doesn't seem to get very "tight". I would descibe it more like a friction joint. I inspected for cracks or other damage. It all seems fine. Just leaks.

We checked numerous time to determine if it was just not connected properly. No luck. The rubber seal appears to be in pretty good condition but my only guess is that it needs replaced. Can I order a replacement? Is there perhaps a different problem?
    Precise part description is needed. Do you have a photo?

Additionally, the "gear" in the head unit is either a 6 or a 9.
    It has to be a 6 because there is no #9.Ok that makes sense. It is a 6 then.

I believe I need a 3 or 4???
    How have you come to this conclusion? What model number do you have? Size of tanks?I think it is what a Kinetico sales rep told me. The unit is a Mach 2060s.

If I remember correctly we have 3 parts of iron and either 10 or 30 of hardness. (I know kind of a range. I will try to determine what it really is).
    Yes, that is vital. get both accurate hardness and iron readings.Iron is 3, Hardness is 32.

I think I need a 4 because I believe that is what the rep that came out and tested the water said. Can I get and install a new gear?
    If you are looking to do it yourself, your local dealer may be able to help yu out with parts.Ok, Thanks.

What is a manablock?

Andy
    Manablock is our plumbing distribution system. I may be spelling it long. I have included a picture. Thanks for your help!

Thank you in advance!

NG
    Attached Images Attached Images

It seems as though you system was sold originally by Rabb Water out of Warsaw, right?

The o-ring on the prefilter needs to be very clean and free of dirt, etc. Use silicone grease to light coat it. DO NOT use Vaseline or other petroleum products. A new o-ring may be needed. The flange should point up.

If your hardness is 32 and iron is 3 (which is pretty high), I would calculate at 3x4=12+32=42 compensated hardness (CH). I would keep it on a disc 6 and a 4lb setting (for high iron).

I don't think you manablock (manafold) has a 3/8" connector. You might to have a plumber come in a connect a tee with a shutoff for the RO. Or come off a dedecated port and reduce it to a 3/8" line with a shutoff.

Where are you located?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Yes the system was from Rabb's Kokomo location. I am going to the Grabil Rabb location today over lunch to pick up a new o-ring.

I'll see how the new o-ring works with silicone grease. I just expected that the filter housing would click or tighten down when turned. However, it spins and engages, but still kind of feels "loose".

How do I change the lbs??? If the 6 disc will work, how do I make the other adjustment?

I am located in Fort Wayne, IN.

Thanks!

It seems as though you system was sold originally by Rabb Water out of Warsaw, right?

The o-ring on the prefilter needs to be very clean and free of dirt, etc. Use silicone grease to light coat it. DO NOT use Vaseline or other petroleum products. A new o-ring may be needed. The flange should point up.

If your hardness is 32 and iron is 3 (which is pretty high), I would calculate at 3x4=12+32=42 compensated hardness (CH). I would keep it on a disc 6 and a 4lb setting (for high iron).

I don't think you manablock (manafold) has a 3/8" connector. You might to have a plumber come in a connect a tee with a shutoff for the RO. Or come off a dedecated port and reduce it to a 3/8" line with a shutoff.

Where are you located?

Andy

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Glad this went well. Andy is a good guy and knows his stuff!!!
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

I don't think you manablock (manafold) has a 3/8" connector. You might to have a plumber come in a connect a tee with a shutoff for the RO. Or come off a dedecated port and reduce it to a 3/8" line with a shutoff. Andy
    Hire a plumber?

Why not have him do it himself by buying a 1/2" fem x 3/8" reducing compression union/coupler (or other appropriate fitting) and a John Quest stop valve and have it done for less than a a couple dollars? Those fittings can be bought at most big box or hardware stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    Glad this went well. Andy is a good guy and knows his stuff!!!
    I notice that he didn't tell the OP how to change the salt dose though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    I notice that he didn't tell the OP how to change the salt dose though.
    So????

Thanks all. I just received some additional schooling from the ever helpful folks at the Rabb Kinetico shop in Grabill, Indiana. I bought a new o-ring, and new filter, and a new filter set for the RO unit. I hope the filter is leak free when I try it this evening. I talked through the way to calibrate the system for lbs of salt at the shop too. Hopefully the float steps haven't been removed to far!

If all goes well I should be making soft water tonight! The RO interfacing is for another day, we are in a race to get the essentials wrapped up for a final inspection. Thanks again for the advice and counsel.

Quote Originally Posted by jetjunkie
    Thanks all. I just received some additional schooling from the ever helpful folks at the Rabb Kinetico shop in Grabill, Indiana. I bought a new o-ring, and new filter, and a new filter set for the RO unit. I hope the filter is leak free when I try it this evening. I talked through the way to calibrate the system for lbs of salt at the shop too. Hopefully the float steps haven't been removed to far!

If all goes well I should be making soft water tonight! The RO interfacing is for another day, we are in a race to get the essentials wrapped up for a final inspection. Thanks again for the advice and counsel.
    Is COLD in Michigan. We will be making hard water, very HARD.

Did you get my PM?

Driller, thank you.
    Gary. nice try.

Jetjunkie, Glad it is working out for you. Did you talk to Kyle in Grabil? Keep me updated and PM me back if you prefer.

Take care,
    Andy

Thanks Andy. No not yet. I don't seem to get notified of new PM's. Weird.

I mostly spoke to Rick Harris (a wealth of knowledge, expertise, and kindness). I was also helped by a very nice lady. there was another guy there, not sure his name though.

So far my Kinetico experience has been great, hopefully it will make great water!

Did you get my PM?

Driller, thank you.
    Gary. nice try.

Jetjunkie, Glad it is working out for you. Did you talk to Kyle in Grabil? Keep me updated and PM me back if you prefer.

Take care,
    Andy

Thanks Andy. No not yet. I don't seem to get notified of new PM's. Weird.

I mostly spoke to Rick Harris (a wealth of knowledge, expertise, and kindness). I was also helped by a very nice lady. there was another guy there, not sure his name though.

So far my Kinetico experience has been great, hopefully it will make great water!
    Rick is a good friend of mine. He was the previous owner when Rabb bought them out and he and Kyle decided to stay on. They will not let you down. Please say HI for me.

Got your PM, thanks.

Keep me in touch...
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    Hire a plumber?

...and a John Quest stop valve ....
    This is a typical mistake, not important but it could be corrected

Success! The new o-ring seal everything up beautifully. The brine float was all ready chipped back to "J" so I guess I will be using 4.4lbs of salt instead of the recommended 4. So we will see how it goes! I loaded the brine tank with 200 lbs of salt and everything seems to be operational. We only have one stool live at this point. The plumber will be bringing more online in the days to come.

Thanks for all your help. Cheers to soft water!

Great! Glad to hear it working. Keep me updated. I may be passig your way next week on my way to Warsaw...
    Andy

The brine float was all ready chipped back to "J" so I guess I will be using 4.4lbs of salt instead of the recommended 4. So we will see how it goes! I loaded the brine tank with 200 lbs of salt and everything seems to be operational. We only have one stool live at this point. The plumber will be bringing more online in the days to come.

Thanks for all your help. Cheers to soft water!
    Do you know how frequently (or how many gallons) the softener will regenerate?

Thanks Andy. !
    Great, talk to you later. ps Don't worry about that.

Don't worry about that.
    Don't worry about how frequently (or how many gallons) the softener will regenerate...

For others reading this, you have to know those things because it is the only way you'll be able to compare a Kinetico's salt and water use to another softener's salt and water use because you must compare total salt and water used over a set period of time. I.E. this Kinetico is going to use 4.4 lbs of salt per regeneration. It may do that every day. Twice a day, or once every other day or every 2 or 4 days etc.. And another softener may regenerate every 1000 gallons once every 7-9 days with 8-9 lbs. Both will regenerate based on gallons because they will be metered/demand initiated control valves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast