Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to tell a water softeners capacity by tank size?

jonjonbear is offline Junior Member

Default Is there any way to tell a water softeners capacity by tank size?

Hello group,
    Brand new here. I have a twin tank softener which was made by "pure-tel" and I have no original paperwork on it. It has two tall chrome tanks with a Fleck 9000 valve on the top. This was in a rental house I had in Las Vegas and removed it when I sold the house and brought it to Texas where it's now installed in my home. It has been running here for five years but it occurred to me that it's probably set way higher than what I need as the water in Vegas is much harder than out here. I have the manual for the valve which I downloaded but the procedure is pretty complicated (at least the part with the pins in the back but maybe that doesn't need setting?), but it appears the first thing I need to know is the unit's capacity. I seem to think I read somewhere this has to do with how much media is installed? The only label on the thing is the manufacture label, with no part number, specs or anything. Is there any way to find out, or figure out what the capacity of this thing is? I have no idea even how old it is. I am using potassium instead of salt and two adults.

Thanks for any pointers,

John
    PS this is my water quality according to my water coop:
    (this is ground water supplied from several wells, not reclaimed or surface water if that even matters)
    Total Hardness = 39.5 milligrams/liter (mg/L) or 2.3 grains per gallon
    Calcium = 8.15 mg/L
    Iron = 0.025 mg/L
    Magnesium = 4.65 mg/L
    Sodium = 222 mg/L
    pH = 7.9 Standard Units
    Total Alkalinity = 357 mg/L
    Chloride = 66mg/L
    Sulfate = 83 mg/L
    Total Dissolved Solids = 620 mg/L
    Aqua maintains an approximately 1.5 to 3.0 mg/L free chlorine residual in the distribution system for disinfection purposes.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

The size of the tanks will allow me to tell you how much resin is in them in cuft.

The K of capacity of that volume of resin is dictated/controlled by the number of lbs of salt used per regeneration. Therefore the capacity of all softeners is adjustable. And programing a softener to use the maximum K of capacity (30K per cuft of regular mesh resin) is not a good idea because it requires the use of the maximum salt dose of 15 lbs/cuft of resin. That gives you the worst salt efficiency; 30,000 divided by 15 = 2000 grains per lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    The size of the tanks will allow me to tell you how much resin is in them in cuft.

The K of capacity of that volume of resin is dictated/controlled by the number of lbs of salt used per regeneration. Therefore the capacity of all softeners is adjustable. And programing a softener to use the maximum K of capacity (30K per cuft of regular mesh resin) is not a good idea because it requires the use of the maximum salt dose of 15 lbs/cuft of resin. That gives you the worst salt efficiency; 30,000 divided by 15 = 2000 grains per lb.
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the reply..I had posted this also over at Terry Loves site so have some information they have been asking.
    The tanks are 10" diameter and 48" tall. They had me look on the valve for the GPM, I can't read the drain output but the brine output says 0.50 GPM, 1.25 Lb salt minimum.
    I also posted pictures of the current dial settings and pin locations. You can see that posting here:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ank-size/page2

I suspect my softener is set way too strong for the water we have here as it was originally installed in Las Vegas where the water is much harder. I am using Potassium (I am on a aerobic septic system) only two adults in the house.

I don't know the age of this water softener, the house it was in was built in 2000 I think so I don't know the condition of the resins inside.

I found your site, and the helpful info and have been trying to figure out my unit, and needs. It appears if I am calculating correctly, my needed capacity is 2880? That seems low but most people don't think my area even requires a softener but it does make a difference. Someone said that if I had the electronic controls I could get closer to my actual needs. Another issue I guess with this valve is that it only regens by water use and has no timer override so that too might work into an issue for me by not regenerating often enough if set to my actual needs.

Thanks so much for your help,

John
    Last edited by jonjonbear; 03-18-2010 at 10:17 AM.

The 2880 is your actual need and you round it up to 3K and set your salt dose lbs to regenerate 3K or as close as you can get with your type of mechanical control valve.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonjonbear
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the reply..I had posted this also over at Terry Loves site so have some information they have been asking.
    The tanks are 10" diameter and 48" tall. They had me look on the valve for the GPM, I can't read the drain output but the brine output says 0.50 GPM, 1.25 Lb salt minimum.
    I also posted pictures of the current dial settings and pin locations. You can see that posting here:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...ank-size/page2

I suspect my softener is set way too strong for the water we have here as it was originally installed in Las Vegas where the water is much harder. I am using Potassium (I am on a aerobic septic system) only two adults in the house.

I don't know the age of this water softener, the house it was in was built in 2000 I think so I don't know the condition of the resins inside.

I found your site, and the helpful info and have been trying to figure out my unit, and needs. It appears if I am calculating correctly, my needed capacity is 2880? That seems low but most people don't think my area even requires a softener but it does make a difference. Someone said that if I had the electronic controls I could get closer to my actual needs. Another issue I guess with this valve is that it only regens by water use and has no timer override so that too might work into an issue for me by not regenerating often enough if set to my actual needs.

Thanks so much for your help,

John
    Beware.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/plumbing...rryl-28223.htm
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    Thank you.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

Driller, you don't have to worry about Jonjon, he is already familiar with the situation. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    Driller, you don't have to worry about Jonjon, he is already familiar with the situation. LOL
    OK....

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    OK....
    You two are like spoiled little kids.

You two are like spoiled little kids.
    Does that make you the "boogie man"???

Thank you.
    Thanks Gary for the adjustment numbers you gave me over there.
    Second, I did take advice over there on a Toto toilet. 400.00+ toilet that I absolutely HATE. Bought the other two at costco for a fraction of the price that work much better. Problem with the toto is, because of the skirt you have to drill holes in the floor so your pretty much stuck with it.

Thanks again for the help on my softener,

John

I don't know about toilets except that most are white.

You're welcome.

BTW, I think I saw a number of NHMaster's alter ego posts there have been deleted.

I think you need a new model, your old one isn't keeping up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you need a new model, your old one isn't keeping up.
    You need to get out of your make believe world and get in touch with reality. You've been caught.

Good luck with that Chief cause it ain't working for ya. LOL Any other wild acuzations you want to try? LOL

If nothing else you do amuse us all

Good luck with that Chief cause it ain't working for ya. LOL Any other wild acuzations you want to try? LOL

If nothing else you do amuse us all
    WHOA! Damn man, I see your alter ego has been banned.

Ya think maybe someone thought there was sufficient proof and fingerprints'er what?

I'll lift my ban for ya. I have been banned there for close to a year. I have no idea who has or has not been banned there. I have no "alter ego" so if someone banned Peter it was for reasons known only to them. Furthermore, judging by the word going around "Professionally run" forums, nobody in their right mind would bother to post there anyway. So by all means, enjoy yourself over there. In the meantime, I think I'm done explaining anything to the like of you.

I'll lift my ban for ya. I have been banned there for close to a year. I have no idea who has or has not been banned there. I have no "alter ego" so if someone banned Peter it was for reasons known only to them. Furthermore, judging by the word going around "Professionally run" forums, nobody in their right mind would bother to post there anyway. So by all means, enjoy yourself over there. In the meantime, I think I'm done explaining anything to the like of you.
    Actually you were banned in late Sept or early Oct. 09, barely 6+/- months ago and now your alter ego in Mar.

And just a day or so ago you said you've been reading posts there. You should do something about your failing memory.

And if you mean Professionals like you, the DIYers are much better off without you and them.

Anybody can log on and read the threads dumb ass. I have not posted since the ban, I can't and for that matter would not bother. However it is fun to watch you make an ass of yourself on a daily basis.
    And for the record, you are still being played and it's not by me and you morons banned a guy that had nothing to do with anything. Hell, look at his posts. He answered over a thousand questions, he was helpful and he was a whole lot less argumentative that you have ever been and you idiots still think he is me but he ain't. Next you can see if you can get Bob and AK banned cause they wont kiss your ass right? And still Terry sits by and lets YOU destroy his forum. What a chump.

Anybody can log on and read the threads dumb ass. I have not posted since the ban, I can't and for that matter would not bother. However it is fun to watch you make an ass of yourself on a daily basis.
    And for the record, you are still being played and it's not by me and you morons banned a guy that had nothing to do with anything. Hell, look at his posts. He answered over a thousand questions, he was helpful and he was a whole lot less argumentative that you have ever been and you idiots still think he is me but he ain't. Next you can see if you can get Bob and AK banned cause they wont kiss your ass right? And still Terry sits by and lets YOU destroy his forum. What a chump.
    Actualy you do not need to log on to read a forum.... LOL

No, you were proven to be Peter Griffin, so give up on the denial whining.

Yes my guess would be that those two players as you call them will be next if they keep up the attitude and being confrontational. As to the others... you just keep thinking no one knows dummy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast