Thread: Loss of Water Pressure

dunacn1 is offline Junior Member

Default Loss of Water Pressure

I have an Autotrol 960 softener. When I had it 1st installed 8 years ago our water pressure drop 50%. I told the installer who stated that we had had some heavy rains and maybe our submersible pump had pumped in some sediment clogging the water line. I was young and took his word for it. After about 2 years pressure started coming back. Had a leak in one of my control valves this week, had the guy come out and replace and reload the resin tank. Guess what, water pressure dropped immediatley again. Is this a problem with the softener or the installer. If need be, water pressure is so ow, I will disconnect the softener and put it on Craig's List. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

What are your water conditions? How big is the softener (HxW)? New resins should help decrease pressure loss. What size plumbing goes into and out of the softener? Where are you measuring/noticing pressure loss - at the sink. at the tank?

What pressure settings are at the pressure tank? Is it a bladder style tank or atmosphere pressure tank (no bladder - usually galvanized)?

It could be something has clogged the incoming line and reworking the plumbing during the valve repair unlodged more and again it is clogged.

Andy

dunacn1 is offline Junior Member

Not sure of the size of either softener or fittings, would guess 1" on pipe. I have a bladder tank set at 60psi, which is working. The problem definitely is from the softener. Had good pressure before he "fixed" poor pressure after. Noticable at every faucet. If in the event there is a clog somewhere, what would be the best way to "unclog". Could I use my air compressor to blow out the lines? Obviously I am a novice at plumbing, though I will try to tackle.

Thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

It is difficult to tell without being there. Try putting the softener on by-pass and notice any pressure changes.