Thread: Autotrol 255 won't draw brine

kpreilly is offline Junior Member

Default Autotrol 255 won't draw brine

I have an Autotrol 255, the problem I am having is it is not drawing brine in fact during the brine cycle it flows a small amount of water into the brine tank instead of creating the suction needed to draw brine out of the tank. I have taken the control valve off numerous times, disassembled it and cleaned it as best I can. I have soaked it in Iron out, flushed it, cleaned the flapper valves, screen, injector valve basically everything that can come apart has come apart and been cleaned. Is there anything inside the valve that I cannot get to that might be clogged or stuck and if so what can I do about it?

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kpreilly
    I have an Autotrol 255, the problem I am having is it is not drawing brine in fact during the brine cycle it flows a small amount of water into the brine tank instead of creating the suction needed to draw brine out of the tank. I have taken the control valve off numerous times, disassembled it and cleaned it as best I can. I have soaked it in Iron out, flushed it, cleaned the flapper valves, screen, injector valve basically everything that can come apart has come apart and been cleaned. Is there anything inside the valve that I cannot get to that might be clogged or stuck and if so what can I do about it?
    Is this an older 255 valve?
    The older ones had a check valve in the body that was a pain in the rear.. one could have every thing else right clean but no joy in the brine draw.

It is around 10 years old

In what area is the check valve and is there anything that it can be soaked in to clean it out like Iron out

What kind of water quality are you deal with? iron or sand?

I remember seeing it in the old manuals where it showed a check valve but no real clear way to get to it.
    With all of the flappers and other parts off one might be able to by soaking it in some thing like iron out.

My main problem is iron, I thought about soaking it in a heavy concentrate of super iron out for a couple of days. Can you hear the valve move if you shake the valve body? When it is free anyway. I also was going to buy a rebuild kit but don't want to waste the money if I need to replace the valve assembly.

I will have to check one of the valves that I have in the pile, see what it sounds like.. or if there is a way for me to get to that part.

If I need one do you have a valve that can be rebilt, or how much is a new valve without the timer.

The Autotrol 255 part number of AT1000232 , the valve body that sets on top of the tank adapter module looks to be around 185.00.
    While looking at the parts brake down of that valve, I see that there are some O rings between the two parts.. have you checked them to make sure that they are in good shape?

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

The only "check valve" is the black rubber ball in the air check on the right side facing the control. The air check is where the brine line going to the salt tank is connected to the control valve on top the air check. It's the clear plastic part with the ball in it and if you take the brine line off it, you can unscrew it to take it off the control and/or take it apart to clean the seat the ball seals against or to replace the ball. I've never seen a bad ball.

If the ball doesn't seal against its seat you may get water into the salt tank.

There is no check valve anywhere inside the Autotrol 255.

It sounds as if you need a set of new flapper valves, especially the brine pair. You don't need any new module etc..

Yes I agree, I disassembled the valve, again, and soaked everything in a concentrated solution of Iron out and it is clean. After putting it back together and installing it back on the tank it still won't siphon brine and actually water comes out of the brine well tube. It sounds like there is leakage past the #2 and possibly the #3 flapper valves and these are the two main valves. So I will get a rebuild kit and try that. I will let you know the results, thanks. Ken

saeverette is offline Junior Member

Default Having a similar issue here

I also have an Autotrol 255 - and the brine tank is consistently overfilling. I tried following the troubleshooting/maintenance tips in the manual but the intructions aren't as clear as I would like. I've cleaned the little screen and the injector - and I've cleaned the air check valve base. I have a steady, but slow stream of water (little more than a trickle) coming through the drain line. One of the troubleshooiting tips from the manual says to clean/inspect the drain control - but I'm not sure what/where that part is...

When I position the control knob to "Draw/Slow Rinse" the brine tank level is supposed to decrease - but it is actually filling when I place it in that position.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Problem solved

I replaced all the flapper valves and everything works fine now. Thanks for all the helpful advice.