Thread: zeolite vs polystyrene resins

cluppins is offline Junior Member

Default zeolite vs polystyrene resins

I'm completely confused about water softener resins. Are zeolite and polystyrene resins that same thing with different names?
    Are there different grades of resin for water softeners? Are water softener resins man-made or natural products from the earth?
    I'm in the market to replace a 15 year old water softener. I have an old fleck system the uses zeolite. Some H20 dealer told me today that zeolite is better for getting rid of manganese and polystyrene is better for getting rid of iron. What's the truth???

manganese .364 mg/l
    hardness .307 mg/l
    conductivity 850 umho/cm
    Last edited by cluppins; 12-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cluppins
    I'm completely confused about water softener resins. Are zeolite and polystyrene resins that same thing with different names?
    Are there different grades of resin for water softeners? Are water softener resins man-made or natural products from the earth?
    I'm in the market to replace a 15 year old water softener. I have an old fleck system the uses zeolite. Some H20 dealer told me today that zeolite is better for getting rid of manganese and polystyrene is better for getting rid of iron. What's the truth???

manganese .364 mg/l
    hardness .307 mg/l
    conductivity 850 umho/cm
    Zeolite is a good media, there is the stuff that is found in nature but it have many different grades, the man made zeolite has 3 main grades.
    There is the grade that will help to correct the ph while it removes iron hardness and some manganese , then there is the grade that will not correct the ph but remove the rest of the items.
    Then there is the zeolite that is turned into the greensand cross over.
    More care is needed when using zeolite in that which one for the water that it is to be put on.
    Zeolite will only work with the rock salt.. there can be NO Additives in the salt.