Thread: The feel of water softened with KCI

Lazy Days is offline Junior Member

Default The feel of water softened with KCI

I have been told that water softened with potassium chloride has a “fluffy” feel to it, and is a much nicer to shower with than water softened with sodium chloride. Does anybody have experience with this “feel”?
    I really don’t care about the ill health effects of potassium as we use ro water for cooking and drinking.

somedumbname is offline Junior Member

Been using KCl as a regenerant for 15+ years and have no objections. The soft water does everything it should do.

Curious, what "ill health effects of potassium" are you referring to?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The best way to tell is to do it yourself. Since getting a softener is not in question--get one, install it and use potassium for the first bag. When it is exhausted use salt. SIMPLE.

I have never heard anyone say there is a definitive difference between to two as far as 'fluffiness' is concerned. Many have commented on the not so recent price increase in potassium salts and have switched to regular salt.

The salt dosage would need to be slightly adjusted as potassium requires more to do the same job at removing calcium and such from the resin beads during regeneration.

Most people's fears when it comes to potassium are unfounded because of report of the dangers of potassium used in other applications. Any chemical can become toxic in enough quantities--even oxygen can kill.

Oh boy, I just knew I should have edited out that last line after posted my question. Sorry, I am new to this forum.
    However, if you don’t eat from a box, can or the drive-up window, your sodium intake is somewhat easy to control. Potassium, not so much. Every freshly prepared steak, chicken, fish, veggie, and fruit you eat contains a healthy dose of potassium. All you need for good health, but you can get too much. Potassium chloride is marketed as a health food, it is not! Like sodium, too little or too much can injure you. I have no will power when it comes to fruit, and I have hypertension, not a good combination.
    For some light reading, you might try searching The New England Journal of Medicine and the Mayo Clinic medical journals
    Key words: kidney failure, diabetes, hyper tension, cardiac disease, renal failure, and my personal favorite, hyperkalemia + water softener +potassium chloride.
    Back on topic. I used K Life for several years a long time back. I don’t remember any difference between it and sodium chloride, there both salts. My better half has heard from friends how wonderful it feels. I just thought maybe something had changed, or I flat missed something. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Should not be a difference in say the shower or other points around the house in how it feels or acts.
    The real difference is the price... at least around here in Alaska price for the KCI is in the $25.00 range thus it is not worth it to buy when salt is down under 10.00.
    Now if you have lots of plants around the house the KCI would be better than the salt.. or just use water that has not been treated for plant water..

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Days
    Oh boy, I just knew I should have edited out that last line after posted my question. Sorry, I am new to this forum.
    However, if you don’t eat from a box, can or the drive-up window, your sodium intake is somewhat easy to control. Potassium, not so much. Every freshly prepared steak, chicken, fish, veggie, and fruit you eat contains a healthy dose of potassium. All you need for good health, but you can get too much. Potassium chloride is marketed as a health food, it is not! Like sodium, too little or too much can injure you. I have no will power when it comes to fruit, and I have hypertension, not a good combination.
    For some light reading, you might try searching The New England Journal of Medicine and the Mayo Clinic medical journals
    Key words: kidney failure, diabetes, hyper tension, cardiac disease, renal failure, and my personal favorite, hyperkalemia + water softener +potassium chloride.
    Back on topic. I used K Life for several years a long time back. I don’t remember any difference between it and sodium chloride, there both salts. My better half has heard from friends how wonderful it feels. I just thought maybe something had changed, or I flat missed something. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks
    If you're concerned about potassium intake better stay away from bananas.

As Andy posted, pretty much anything in excess can be bad for you especially if you have a medical condition that a particular substance aggravates.

I have hypertension and my doctor has recommended monitoring my sodium intake but never mentioned potassium and when I asked him he said "don't worry about potassium unless your levels go up and that's what blood tests are for".

You can Google and find a pro and con for pretty much any subject. If you're looking for bad news it can always be found with enough time spent searching.

Your first hand experience with K-Life (KCl) should be considered.
    Last edited by somedumbname; 12-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.

I will have to look at the price when I go into town. In the past, you got a 40lb bag of Klife for the price of a 50lb bag of DuraCube salt. Thanks

I will have to look at the price when I go into town. In the past, you got a 40lb bag of Klife for the price of a 50lb bag of DuraCube salt. Thanks
    It's far more expensive now... best deal around here is Nature's Own (same as K-life, same company) for $13.79 @ Costco

We only use one bag a month so I just consider the extra cost my contribution to the environment.

Somedumbname, as I haven't figured the quote thing out yet. Bananas are goooo...d, but not at the top of the potassium list.
    Do the blood work at your doctors office, not at the ER.
    Thanks for the reply!

Morton KCI @ mid Michigan Sams Club, $14.72

Default KCI update

Stopped @ H Depot after lunch today, Morton 40 lb bag $26.99! Yes, I looked twice and even asked if the price was for real when I was checking out. Ouch!

Stopped @ H Depot after lunch today, Morton 40 lb bag $26.99! Yes, I looked twice and even asked if the price was for real when I was checking out. Ouch!
    And that is the reason any number of people are no longer using the stuff..
    I remember back in the 90's the big push to be more green and use it, but now that the price is 4 times what salt is,, how many have the deep pockets to keep paying the price?

If you have a properly sized softener set up for efficiency you're probably using a bag of regenerant a month.

I have 30gpg hard water and we're two in the home and we use a little less than a bag a month.

That's 12 x $15 = $180 a year for KCl

That's 12 x $5 = $60 a year for NaCl

You'd be paying a premium of $120 a year to use KCl

That's an extra $10 a month which wouldn't require all that deep a pocket. Hardly an outrageous expense considering how much money some spend on bottled water or Starbucks in a year and better for the environment.

Everyone gets to spend their own money.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbname
    If you have a properly sized softener set up for efficiency you're probably using a bag of regenerant a month.

I have 30gpg hard water and we're two in the home and we use a little less than a bag a month.

That's 12 x $15 = $180 a year for KCl

That's 12 x $5 = $60 a year for NaCl

You'd be paying a premium of $120 a year to use KCl

That's an extra $10 a month which wouldn't require all that deep a pocket. Hardly an outrageous expense considering how much money some spend on bottled water or Starbucks in a year and better for the environment.

Everyone gets to spend their own money.
    Your 15 a bag is what we where paying here until about 2 years ago when it left and came back at 27 per bag..
    I had many customers that where buying at the 15 leave when it came back at 27, so if you are able to get at the 15 I would say you should buy a pallet or 63 bags for the price is only going to go up, just a question of when.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan
    Your 15 a bag is what we where paying here until about 2 years ago when it left and came back at 27 per bag..
    I had many customers that where buying at the 15 leave when it came back at 27, so if you are able to get at the 15 I would say you should buy a pallet or 63 bags for the price is only going to go up, just a question of when.
    I've been paying $13.79 a bag for KCl at my local Costco for over 4 years. not a penny more and not a penny less.

The Home Depot about 500 yards away from Costco gets (if they sell any) $26.99 a bag.

I don't doubt what you say is going on in your location but don't generalize that it is the same everywhere else. If I lived in AK I'd be using NaCl and I'd use what I'd save to buy pellets for the pellet stove.

There's lots of stuff that costs less in the lower 48 than up there in AK and the same is true for Hawaii. People choose to live where they live for lots of different reasons.

You've got big bears and lots of eagles while we down here pay a lot less for KCl. Me, I'd gladly pay more for KCl and have a ready supply of Kona beans than watch bears and eagles

Default Why?

Is there a reason KCI has gone up in price so much?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Is there a reason KCI has gone up in price so much?
    Bio-diesel.
    Potassium is shifting to use in fertilizers.