Thread: Hooking up kinetico 2100s od

fishnlunds is offline Junior Member

Default Hooking up kinetico 2100s od

Just obtained a new (used) kinetico water softner! Called local kinetico dealer and asked about installing and setting it up for me and they quoted me $350, thought that was awfull high. I can hook unit up however in other posts I have read where this unit can be configured inside the head unit to allow for water in-flow connection on either side to facilitate easier installation, so how do you know which side it is configured for. You can see thru the top clear cap a "clicker arm on one side of the toothed #6 disc inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

What are your water conditions? Are you sure it is an OD model? The reversable flow pattern is adjusted by the by-pass not the valve. There are arrows in the ports that tell flow direction.

Knowing your water conditions is very important. Did it come with a Kinetico brine tank? I am not sure where they get the $350 from. It should time and parts and should take no more than two hours unless installation is very involved.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Default Installing Kinetico

Yes I am sure of the model 2100S OD, this unit was installed in 09. however maybe I misunderstood that the water flow change was done in the bypass valve. So I just hook up water according to the arrow on the valve?

Unit was installed in 09 and came out of small business that closed down, so I got a good deal on unit. Local kinetico dealer told me it was a large residential unit and that it would be fine to install in my 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home with 4 people living there, they new my water analysis because they were renting a lesser unit to me. Don't remeber water analysis results from 2 years ago but as I rember not real hard and a little iron. Planned on installing unit then taking water sample to dealer to get advice on proper size disc. Yes it already had the brine tank with it. I can hook up in under an hour, just wanting to make sure I am doing it right.

The disc is set according to harness. Let me know what your iron and hardness are and I can say if it right or at least workable.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

it'll work fine...but talk about overkill. a 2100 on a residential app is not going to be the most efficient way to go. $350 may be in the ballpark. It all depends on your plumbing situation and what type of install they would do. Like Andy said, get the iron and hardness info so we can help you out on setting it up.

The 2100s OD is a high flow unit but handles half the hardness of the 2100s. So setting it properly is very important.

Isn't there a part inside the head you can replace to alter it from OD to non-OD? I need to break out the manual...but I think that's all the difference is. The OD wouldn't be necessary at all on a residential app, not that it hurts either. Just brainstorming.

Talked to a different local softner person today and he tested my water, and said I had quite a bit of iron and low hardness but came up with a total hardness of 28. He does not sell kinetico, however he services them and has parts and service literature for the brand. He told me that there was a gear inside we could change to slow down to none "OD" mode also.

There are different control discs and the 2100s OD has a restrictor tube in the risers that divide flow to/from both tanks. The level one assembly UT and meter nozzle are different, too. It wouldn't be simple to convert. As long as his total compensated hardness is within its limits, the OD will work fine. Make sure there are no running toilets or dripping leaks anywhere in the house.
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 04-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Default Disc setting

So if I have a total hardness of 28 what disc should be in the unit?

And also do I need to set anything in the brine tank?

thanks

how much iron?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnlunds View Post
    So if I have a total hardness of 28 what disc should be in the unit?
    disc 7 @ 5.5 pounds
    disc 5 @ 10 pounds
    disc 4 @ 15 pounds

If your iron is low (< 1.5ppm) then use the disc 7 for best efficiency.

I think he said 2 or 2.5 on hardness and the rest was iron, does that make sense?

Maybe the other way around???
    What's your pH?
    Get it properly tested FIRST!