Thread: Booster Pump won't Shut Off

BobbyCaverns is offline Junior Member

Default Booster Pump won't Shut Off

Hello Andy, Everyone,

I have spent the last few hours browsing your posts I have learned a great deal about my Kinetico VX R/O system and just signed up to the forum.

The problem is my booster pump will not shut off. Yesterday I replaced the shut-off switch and after about twenty minutes the pump shut off briefly, then ran for twenty minutes and shut off briefly again.

I have searched for other posts that address this issue and did not find one, if there is a post already, please point me to it and I apologize if I have created a new post unnecessarily. Thanks.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Make sure the the pressure switch is between tank and manifold. Do not put on line to the faucet.

The booster pump will run whenever the system is making water, which can be quite often with an RO especially if you use a lot of water.

Keep us posted if you find the issue.

Thanks. I checked and the pressure switch is plumbed between the tank and the manifold.

I discovered something else that puzzles me: when the pump is off (unplugged from the outlet) the r/o is constantly sending water to the drain, it does not stop unless a supply valve is shut off.

This sounds like a problem, because if the r/o is constantly spending water, the pump is constantly sending water to make r/o. What does this mean? Bad membrane in the manifold? Bad seals in the tank?

Thanks for you help.

Alex is offline Senior Member

The reason for the booster pump is to feed the membrane at a proper level of pressure to operate. If the water pressure without the pump on is not high enough (usually needs 50-55 PSI) then all of the water will go down the drain as there isn't enough pressure to force through membrane.

I would assume that this is why you have a booster pump as not everyone meets the PSI needed and the booster gets you to that point. So, that sounds normal.

You can check the tank pressure to be sure that it is at a proper level. You can empty the tank of all water and use a standard air gauge on the schrader valve on the tank. The air pressure should range 10 - 12 PSI on most standard 4 gallon tanks.

Now if you notice that water comes out of where you test the air then the tank/bladder is bad and you need to replace. With improper pressure, your system may not shut off.

OK things are getting clearer...just to confirm, the tank is a quick-flo and does not have a schrader valve. That's probably an important piece of information I should have said from the beginning.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

is the flow to the drain a trickle or more like a fully pressurized flow? sounds like a possible tank module failure.

The flow to the drain is like a 3/8" line under a little pressure, maybe ten pounds or so. It does not spray out like its under 50 to 55 psi.

with the faucet closed, turn the ball valve at the tank off (on the 3/8 line generally). Does the run to the drain continue?

Yes. With the faucet closed, and the ball valve at the tank off, water continues to flow to the drain.

replace the tank module. (the part that screws onto the top of the tank that the lines connect into). I'd recommend having a Kinetico dealer come out to do it. It may be under warranty yet and the part itself isn't found just anywhere. That's most likely the issue. Make sure he checks the bladder over while doing it and doesn't just keep the tank full and swap the module out.
    Last edited by pawaterguy; 05-14-2011 at 01:05 AM.