Thread: please help! hardness question

Logan Zehr is offline Junior Member

Angry please help! hardness question

why does my water softener (ion exchange with salt) change my water like this!

before softener
    ph-6.7
    GH 500
    Kh 300

after softener
    ph. 8.2
    gh 0
    Kh 500

I can't figure it out.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

What else is on the system? Is it residential or commercial? Who tests for Kh unless they need to for some reason?

residential, Nothing is on the system but the softener. I test for Kh for my aquarium and PH for that as well. I thought softeners are not supposed to affect Ph and alkalinity?

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

What kind of system are we talking about?
    What brand?
    What size?

not sure of the brand at the moment, ill look some time. the size, its 5 foot tall, just a regular home softener, ion exchanger, and we use water softener salt in the brine tank. I do not know much about softeners at all so i don't know if there different kind of softeners that use salt for the Ion exchange or not. If you need the exact brand and size Ill get the manual out. sorry for the vaugue definition. I tested the water today and its ph was 7.2, yesterday it was 8.4. What could be causing this? I test multiple times with two testers so its right. I know about PH and KH but i don't understand how a softener could cause the fluctuations in this.

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

It almost sounds like you have a system that uses a media that will correct the ph.
    Water Right is the company that uses that media the most in a line of systems.
    Photo?

Pentair water USA model 268 is my water softener. I tested the ph today and its down to 7.6. Maybe my tap water is messed up. the hard and soft water were the same this time. Odd