Thread: Fleck7000 Regenerates but no soft water

Ardy is offline Junior Member

Question Fleck7000 Regenerates but no soft water

I have a fleck 7000. The unit appears to work fine as far as going thru the complete regeneration cycle. however, I just realized the salt volume is not going down. after testing the water, it appears the unit is not softening the water.. brand new unit, only a couple of months old.

the regeneration goes thru all the steps, I don't see anything happening in the salt tank?

any help would be appreciated..

thanks.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

It could be your salt tank is bridged. In other words, the salt has solidified and is not dropping down into the water to be dissolved. Take a couple of gallons of hot water and slowly pour it down into the salt to see if it collapses a bit.

Manually regenerate it about an hour later. Repeat if necessary. Never fill the tank more than half full to be safe. I hoper this is the cause and not something with the valve itself.

Andy Christensen

Thank you Andy.

I did check the brine(?) line, and it does take water IN and OUT, during different phases.. It is also low pressure, which I assume how they should be.

As you suggested, it seems the problem may be on the bottom of the salt tank.. I did follow your suggestion, though have no way of knowing till I get to take some samples to the local place to test.

are there some basic testing items available where I can test on my own from time to time?

Thanks again for your help.,

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

You may have a clogged brine intake. Is there iron in your water? Filter ahead of the softener? Pretreatment of any kind before the softener? Plumbed in correctly as far as inlet and outlet go?

pawaterguy, there is no iron, it is city water, though fairly hard (28+).

the water is filtered before the softener..

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I just noticed that I misread that the first time. I thought you said it doesn't go in or out during the cycle. My bad there. Salt bridge sounds pretty likely as Andy already said. Check your aerators as well to make sure the distributor tube didn't blow and send all of the resin through your plumbing system. Unlikely, but possible. You'll usually notice a fixture somewhere not giving any water if it happens though.

biermech is offline Junior Member

Does the brine tank have a grid plate? The plate is designed to keep the salt off the bottom. If it has a grid plate, the brine tube may be too far down in the tank to allow water to come up above the plate. If this is the case, it will never use salt.
    Last edited by biermech; 02-19-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling