Thread: stuff floating in filtered water

Default stuff floating in filtered water

We have a Kenmore side by side refridge with ice & water in the door that uses the 46_9010 filter. We have had Sears out twice in the last 9 months due to stringy stuff floating in our water from the door. We tried replacing the filter but that didn't help. The first time the repair guy finally replaced the storage tube in the ref. and that helped for about 8 months. It is doing it again and Sears came out and the repair guy said that it was due to the high efficiency of the filter taking out the clorine in the water and that was allowing bateria to grow in the storage tube. He claimed that if we disconnected the filter and allowed the water to run through for a while it would eventually clear up. I would like to know if this is a true statement that the filter is so efficient that it allows bateria to grow in the storage tube or are we being told this because they don't know what is causing the problem.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I hope my insight can help although I must admit I don't have much of a solution for you. Refrigerator filters do contain Carbon, which can be a great place for bacteria to grow---if the carbon is dry or sitting in stagnant water. But if you're using your filter regularly then water is passing through it every day and this should not happen. Have you tried testing the "stringy stuff" to see what exactly it is? It's always a good idea to find out what you're dealing with in order to find the right solution.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Thanks for the quick response! I will take a water sample with the floaters to our county seat where they have water testing. What I find strange is what do people on well water that don't have chlorine added by their water department do....
    If you would like I will let you know what the testing results are when I get them.
    Thanks again,