Thread: Iron slime fixed with Oxy Blast?

mball11 is offline Junior Member

Default Iron slime fixed with Oxy Blast?

I had my well pulled a few weeks ago because of reduced output. It turns out the drop pipe was around 25-30% filled with iron slime. My 1-1/4" pipe was probably restricted to 3/4" at best especially first 80' above the pump. At that time the well company replaced the pump but not the motor as it was mostly clogged. Nothing was done to the drop pipe. My output is only marginally better after a 6 weeks. The well company is suggesting I install the oxy blast system to help control the iron. Does anyone have any experience with system? I haven't been able to find much on this. In theory it sounds like it should help and if I replace the drop pipe, I'll be in the same boat in a few years. The well is 7 years old. Are there other alternatives to help control the iron. When I had the water tested at installation of the well, iron was 0., manganese was .04 and hardness was 18. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

I don't know Oxy Blast... what is it and how does it work to solve your problem?

I have used a pellet dropper on the well to solve the problem. You could shock the well and see if you can open up the drop pipe.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I'm not sure how Oxy Blast can help your well since it is placed outside the well. Because it uses hydrogen peroxide with a metered peristaltic pump, it can handle iron and other well water problems but I don't think it can correct the problems down in the well itself with clogging as you described.

Oxy Blast is often used in commercial or farm applications but can be reduced for residential use.

When you say you 'had the well pulled' do you mean the pump? I wonder how your iron can be counted as zero ppm.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 08-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.

mball11 is offline Junior Member

The hydrogen peroxide is pumped down to the well pump in a small tube and is metered near the pump intake when the well pump kicks on. The chemical reaction (I'm not a chemist) is supposed to oxidize the iron and keep it from forming the slime on anything it comes in contact with. It forms a particle and flows through the water system (wonder what kind of problems that will cause?). I had the whole system pulled and the motor was supposedly good (5hp), but the pump itself was plugged and needed replacing. I don't think the initial water test was accurate for iron or something changed rather quickly with the water content. We've always had orange water from the outside hydrants for the first couple of minutes of use (time and quality various of course). Thanks for the responses.