Thread: White Powder in Tray

agentbb007 is offline Junior Member

Default White Powder in Tray

I originally found this post from Google but it seems it's gone now so I will start a new one. http://www.filtersfast.com/forums/re....html#post2114 (Sediments / Egg white look in melted ice cubes)

I have white powder crap in my tray. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ice cubes because after I empty all the ice cubes after about 12 hours the tray below the water/ice dispenser is covered with this powdery stuff.
    Also the ice cubes feel sorta rough like they have this white powdery stuff on them as well.
    Here's a picture of the tray. Another creepy thing I just noticed after I took the picture is there is a tiny little bug in the tray on the right side. Damn I don't think I'm drinking anything but bottled water for awhile.

(Small Image) 1000x664 - 159 KB
    (Big Image) 4288x2848 - 1.13 MB

BB

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

What you describe is typical with hard water. The ice and water despenser leaves traces of the hardness calcium and other minerals that were once dissolved.

Get your water tested.

Andy

Jaseyy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentbb007
    I originally found this post from Google but it seems it's gone now so I will start a new one. http://www.filtersfast.com/forums/re....html#post2114 (Sediments / Egg white look in melted ice cubes)

I have white powder crap in my tray. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ice cubes because after I empty all the ice cubes after about 12 hours the tray below the water/ice dispenser is covered with this powdery stuff.
    Also the ice cubes feel sorta rough like they have this white powdery stuff on them as well.
    Here's a picture of the tray. Another creepy thing I just noticed after I took the picture is there is a tiny little bug in the tray on the right side. Damn I don't think I'm drinking anything but bottled water for awhile.

BB
    Hey, I found this thread through Google, I am experiencing the EXACT same problem. Can anybody resolve this problem?
    Last edited by rscardigno; 11-23-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Default Hard Water

I second Andy's reply.

Hard water minerals are being deposited from your water. Some sort of softening resin is needed for ion exchange to remove the hardness minerals.

It is highly advised to test the water before treating it. No need for stabbing in the dark.

JeanH is offline Junior Member

I totally agree with having your water tested. It will save you in the long run, believe me.

I think water softner will solve your problem...just hardness is there in your water.You can try RO but before that get the analysis of the water from professional.

skidog is offline Junior Member

I have the same issue, I have a water softener and a GE FQSVF under sink filter that just filters my ice making water in the freezer and the water tap at my sink and I have city water.
    I installed the under sink filter to get rid of the powder and make my ice taste and look good but honesty can't tell the difference from before I installed it.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

The GE FQSVF filter will do little to make ice cubes clearer. Dissolved solids can be removed with an RO. It should be able to improve taste and remove some chemicals such as chlorine.

BarneyC is offline Junior Member

I have hard water but the fridge filter does a good job of getting rid of the calcium and other deposits. I notice it most of all from the dishes in my dishwasher. There tends to be a white film over some of the glasses. I usually put vinegar in the dishwasher to get rid of the white film.
    Barney - renovating the kitchen