Thread: Black/Grey water after bleaching carbon

Gator is offline Junior Member

Default Black/Grey water after bleaching carbon

Hello,
    I just purchased a new home in florida that gets its water from a well. The previous owner has both a water softner and a large whole house carbon filter. Once a month the carbon filter says to perform a regeneration, in which i have to run a gallon of bleach through the filter. After I perform all the steps, which includes rinsing for 10 min, I get black/grey water for about 3 days. Does anyone know what this is? Is it safe to drink? Also, it leaves a black stain on my toliets that seems impossible to get off, does anyone know how to remove this. Any advice would be very appreciated. THanks.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Question Black/Water Staining

Quote Originally Posted by Gator
    Hello,
    I just purchased a new home in florida that gets its water from a well. The previous owner has both a water softner and a large whole house carbon filter. Once a month the carbon filter says to perform a regeneration, in which i have to run a gallon of bleach through the filter. After I perform all the steps, which includes rinsing for 10 min, I get black/grey water for about 3 days. Does anyone know what this is? Is it safe to drink? Also, it leaves a black stain on my toliets that seems impossible to get off, does anyone know how to remove this. Any advice would be very appreciated. THanks.

Hi Gator,

Upon installation most carbon filters have to be flushed to remove any loose carbon fines from the water. They just look like little black specs. From what you've said above I am guessing that the "regeneration" process is causing a chemical reaction between the carbon and the bleach. I can't speak to whether or not this is safe. If I were you I would see if you can locate a manufacturer or "brand name" on the equipment and contact them for technical support. Are you sure you're supposed to bleach the filter as well as the canister(housing)? I've heard of bleaching a housing to sterilize it but not while the filters in it. ??

The other thing which can cause black staining is high levels of manganese in your water. I don't really think this is your problem because you only have the black water when you bleach the filter right? But if all else fails I guess you could buy a test kit and test for manganese.

Hope this helps!
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458