Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sudden clay like sediment in well water

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    I NEVER pull off a hole until the water is crystal clear.
    That's becasue you are required by your sstate to produce clear water before leaving terh site. Most states do not require that of the driller and the OP may not be in your state of MI.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    That's becasue you are required by your sstate to produce clear water before leaving terh site. Most states do not require that of the driller and the OP may not be in your state of MI.
    Yep, that is why if you can drill in Michigan you can drill anyplace.

Or, more to the point. If we can do it in Michigan there is never a reason for a well to pump dirty.

Fix the well.
    Last edited by Driller1; 05-11-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

TnAKluck@msn.com is offline Junior Member

I have been running clear for two days now. I feel nervous every time I run the water, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by TnAKluck@msn.com
    I have been running clear for two days now. I feel nervous every time I run the water, but so far so good.
    Great news!!!! Don't be afraid to use it. Pumping a well is good for it.

If it were a hole in the casing it would have remained dirty.

Great news!!!! Don't be afraid to use it. Pumping a well is good for it.

If it were a hole in the casing it would have remained dirty.
    In many cases that is not true if it is a rock bore well. Doing so can actually make a bad situation in a rock bore well worse; or ruin the pump.

In many cases that is not true if it is a rock bore well. Doing so can actually make a bad situation in a rock bore well worse; or ruin the pump.
    Opinions vary......in what states do you hold a license???

Opinions vary......in what states do you hold a license???
    How many hundreds of times do I have to tell you I have never been required to have a license anywhere other than a drivers license but...

You have a drilling license and don't know much about rock bore wells and you don't differentiate between your sand and gravel and rock bore wells. Which are very different.

How many hundreds of times do I have to tell you I have never been required to have a license anywhere other than a drivers license but...

You have a drilling license and don't know much about rock bore wells and you don't differentiate between your sand and gravel and rock bore wells. Which are very different.
    Hummmm....we drilled one of each already this week, how many have YOU drilled???

Hummmm....we drilled one of each already this week, how many have YOU drilled???
    I have worked on many rock bore wells and can tell you that running water like you are telling people to do without knowing of and mentioning to those people the potential problems that can cause is a disservice to them because it is bad advice.

It has nothing to do with drilling a well or how many wells you have drilled.

I have worked on many rock bore wells and can tell you that running water like you are telling people to do without knowing of and mentioning to those people the potential problems that can cause is a disservice to them because it is bad advice.

It has nothing to do with drilling a well or how many wells you have drilled.
    But, it does have to do with you trying to sell them something.

Default Water getting cloudy

My water is starting to look cloudy again. it is NO where as bad as it was, but not clear. We are not running through our softener and iron sulfur filter. We have been just straight from the well since it went clear. I noticed yellow film in the toilets and thought it must be from not running thought the water treatment euipment. I just went to get a glass to check and saw swirling sediment. I went outside and ran the hose and with a flashlight it looks to be cloudy. Not sediment filled and grey, but maybe on its way. It looks like it does when the bad stuff is clearing up. We did have rain today. I am not sure if that is a factor ands this is not something that just occurs and we are unaware of with her softener/sulfur and filter on. I have it running now, but if I do not hear back in an hour or so I will turn it off before bed..an hour or so.

ps what made me check was rhat the down stairs toilet was running. This is also the same toilet that we had trouble with running right when all this started. My husband shortened the metal hoop the chain was connected to and fixed it. Not sure why it was running tonight, but maybe a piece of the puzzle???

ps what made me check was rhat the down stairs toilet was running. This is also the same toilet that we had trouble with running right when all this started. My husband shortened the metal hoop the chain was connected to and fixed it. Not sure why it was running tonight, but maybe a piece of the puzzle???
    Maybe it was stirring things up in the well. Just see what happens. If this continues, have a driller look at it.

The rain should never make a difference.

It got a little brown and very cloudy, but nothing like before. There was some grey sediment in the bottom of the bucket, but it wasn't a ton like before. I ran it outside for about 5 hours and it is clear this morning.

It got a little brown and very cloudy, but nothing like before. There was some grey sediment in the bottom of the bucket, but it wasn't a ton like before. I ran it outside for about 5 hours and it is clear this morning.
    Honestly, if you were near me I would look at putting a liner in the well and ending this.

Call your local heath department and see if you can get a copy of the well log for your well. Maybe we can figure out where this is coming from.

Maybe it was stirring things up in the well. Just see what happens. If this continues, have a driller look at it.

The rain should never make a difference.
    The toilet running constantly pulls the water level in the well down farther than normal. That allows air to come in contact with the sides of the well that probably has rust and drilling mud clinging to the sides and it starts to dry out and then the water level comes up and washes it off the wall into the water.

The toilet running constantly pulls the water level in the well down farther than normal. That allows air to come in contact with the sides of the well that probably has rust and drilling mud clinging to the sides and it starts to dry out and then the water level comes up and washes it off the wall into the water.
    Maybe...it would depend on the well. I could run every tap in my house and barn for days and that would not happen. Ever.

Maybe...it would depend on the well. I could run every tap in my house and barn for days and that would not happen. Ever.
    We aren't talking about your well and we aren't talking about your type of well, or about you.

BTW, she described her well type.

We aren't talking about your well and we aren't talking about your type of well, or about you.

BTW, she described her well type.
    Don't worry about my posts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast