Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sudden clay like sediment in well water

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    Don't worry about my posts.
    I'll worry if I wanna and I'm worried about them causing the OP problems.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    I'll worry if I wanna and I'm worried about them causing the OP problems.
    LOL...you are worried they won't buy from you.
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

Quote Originally Posted by Driller1
    LOL...you are worried they won't buy from you.
    You give incomplete information and thereby bad advice.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

OK so we have three pages of posts and the problem persists.
    There is nothing that you are going to do that will clear up the problem with the well. Obviously running it was a waste of time and since the well is over three years old I'm not sure why that advice was given in the first place. Something has changed. Either a new vein has opened up down there that carries sediment to the well, or sediment has been building up for years under the pump and is now very close to the inlet screen so the pump is sucking it in. Either way, to fix the problem is going to require getting a driller out there to run some tests and either re-set or line the case. filtering can be done but you will be changing media regularly and it may get to the point where the sediment ruins the pump and or clogs the filter once or twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    There is nothing that you are going to do that will clear up the problem with the well. Obviously running it was a waste of time and since the well is over three years old I'm not sure why that advice was given in the first place. Something has changed. Either a new vein has opened up down there that carries sediment to the well, or sediment has been building up for years under the pump and is now very close to the inlet screen so the pump is sucking it in. Either way, to fix the problem is going to require getting a driller out there to run some tests and either re-set or line the case. filtering can be done but you will be changing media regularly and it may get to the point where the sediment ruins the pump and or clogs the filter once or twice a week.
    How do you re-set the case??? Do you mean beat on it?? (that is not good with PVC) If we could, that would take a permit.

Liners work. Quick and easy. Then we treat it like and a new well and blow it with air.

I mean drill another well.

I mean drill another well.
    Oh OK. I have always had lines work great. It is just an extension of the casing.

BTY, I know you know that. The explanation was for the OP.

BTY, I bought up a liner in post #14.

Why is three pages bothersome to you?

Over 3 years old...? what does that have to do with the problem? That is usually when drilling mud sediment problems show up.

A pump guy would be a better choice, they don't try to sell the person a new well, they troubleshoot for leaks etc, and raise the pump etc., and can possibly run a camera down to see what the problem is caused by etc.

And then there is a backwashed filter choice to remove the sediment instead of drilling a new well with no guarantee of getting better quality water from it.

Sure, raise the pump a few feet and wait a few years and the problem comes back. Thought you did service?

Sure, spend a grand, buy a filter and then live with the maintenance for the rest of your life.

Or, line the case or drill another viable well and be done with it. The world is full of choices. I'm throwing out the two that I would do. Naturally, like anything else cost figures into any decision.

TnAKluck@msn.com is offline Junior Member

Water is clear so far a few day now. If is is drilling mud will that go away? Also how much is a liner? Has anyone heard of Homespring water system by GE. It says it removes colloids down to .02 microns.

The well performed just fine for 3 years so it's not drilling mud at this point. I suspect there is sediment running into the well. Eventually it will come up to the pump and ruin it. Gary would have you put in a backwash sediment filter which will remove the sediment from your potable water but any sediment pumped to the filter will also get into your pressure tank and pressure switch as well as the pump itself which will ruin the pump prematurely. You can put a sock on the pump to protect it but again, eventually the sediment will come up around and over the pump and plug it up. Unfortunately, there is no quick, cheap fix here. You must keep sediment from the pump and the rest of the system or you will be chasing the problem forever. Over the years I have run into this a dozen times or more and most times the answer has been a new well.

Quote Originally Posted by TnAKluck@msn.com
    Water is clear so far a few day now. If is is drilling mud will that go away? Also how much is a liner? Has anyone heard of Homespring water system by GE. It says it removes colloids down to .02 microns.
    I hate to price things like liners on the net. Drillers vary in price SO much.

Get your well log. Then I will give you a guess.

I don't charge on wells I drill. That has only happened three times.

I did liner a well for a older customer that had moved to a different house. I think it was about $1000.

IMO, treating the water for this is like a 13 years old girl piling on make up rather than clearing her skin.

One thing if the OP would choose to drill another well, there is a good chance of using the pump and hook up fittings. That would save money.

At this point, I encourage the OP to talk to a few local drillers.

Quote Originally Posted by TnAKluck@msn.com
    Yes drilling mud will go away. It should have been removed by the driller before he/she pulled their rig off the well, but that time cost him money and he didn't include much time for developing the well so he does a bit and leaves. Then a few months to years later, the homeowner has a sediment problem and he tells them to run water for a few days "and that will clear it right up". And as you see, it works if you run enough water for enough time but, doing that can cause some serious and expensive problems and rarely to never do they tell you anything about that.

Do me a favor, ask nhmaster to tell you how he knows your gray sediment isn't drilling mud, and if a new well or liner guarantees no more gray sediment or other water quality problems. Thanks.

The drilling mud would have gone away years ago. Most drillers do guarantee clean, clear water and I would not let anyone drill that did not. Gary, tell us all how a backwashing sediment filter is going to keep sediment out of the pump, line and pressure tank?

The drilling mud would have gone away years ago. Most drillers do guarantee clean, clear water and I would not let anyone drill that did not. Gary, tell us all how a backwashing sediment filter is going to keep sediment out of the pump, line and pressure tank?
    Most drillers do they best they can. However, drilling is not an exact science. The ground changes. No one can see down in the borehole.

And the Earth is always moving.

Sometimes we just have to go to plan B.

In this scenario, IMO there was not enough casing. Time to ad a little.

It's very obvious that you know next to nothing about drilling mud or well drilling or the contracts used.

Tell us why you think this sediment will harm the pump, line and pressure tank.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast