Thread: Really black filter!? Help!

Ezekial is offline Junior Member

Default Really black filter!? Help!

My pure white 5 micron cartridge becomes jet black in just 2 days. Can anyone tell me, why? what's in the water? The water in the toilet is clear and the toilet bowl has no stains, but the tank water has black, gritty sediment in the bottom. I was told by our well driller, "probably manganese," but certified lab result shows it tests in the okay range for manganese. Is there anything else it could be other than manganese? Anybody have any thoughts?

leenaRay is offline Junior Member

nope no idea sometime if water is left in can or something for longer period of time it turns black

Will-i-am is offline Junior Member

I am having the same issue , My well guy says it is sulphur, I am getting my water retested A test in teh fall showed a small amount of sulphur - but NO smell- I had submitted a post in the whole house filter forum, My filter was installed this past Saturday - May 14 and it turned black in 3 - 4 hours!! scared the heck out of me.

Alex is offline Senior Member

Default Black sediment clogging filter

It is always hard to determine what is in the water without having it tested. Any measures will be a stab in the dark toward any resolution.

You can always email any test results to sales@filtersfast.com and they will take a look at the results for you. It could be Manganese will not harm you, but can cause black stains on clothes or household fixtures with as little as 0.05 mg/L (PPM).

It is odd that there is no staining in the bowl but just the back of the tank. That makes me think that it is mainly just dark sediments or silt, maybe from ferric or organic iron but a water test would confirm this.