Thread: Muddy sediment - varying opinions

jdiver is offline Junior Member

Default Muddy sediment - varying opinions

Some background: There is a very fine dark gray sediment (muddy almost) that comes in constantly from our well. We have a basic GE whole house water filter using a filter with a micron rating of 30-50. It filters out the sediment and the water pressure is good and the water crystal clear for about 2 weeks of use. After that the pressure drops because the filter is clogged and I change the filter and start the cycle over again. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years since I bought the house, but we're now putting on a very large addition in the fall and I want the problem fixed rather than band-aided.

Our well was put in back in 1985 and is 305 feet deep with the pump set at 295 feet, with PVC casing. I don't know if the pump has ever been replaced, or any other history of the well other than the aforementioned info that is stamped on it. We've gotten several opinions about the problem from well companies to a friend of ours who has worked for the EPA for 30 years dealing with water issues of all kinds.

Opinion #1: The pump is stirring up sediment from the bottom when it comes on, and raising the pump 10 feet could fix it. That suggestion also included putting in a new pump for a total of about $3k-$4k.

Opinion #2: The casing isn't deep enough and adding a liner that goes deeper than the current casing to get past the sediment area could fix it. Probably around $1k.

Opinion #3: Drill a new well. Around $12k.

We don't want to throw good money after bad with this one, but also would rather not drill a whole new well if we don't have to. I found this forum when ordering more filters and figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts on here for additional opinions and advice. Much thanks in advance.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Boy, prices in your area are so much higher than what I am used to.

Get a thorough water analysis so you know what you are up against. When filter cartridges fill up like yours, then a backwashing system would be recommeneded.

Get those test results to us.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdiver
    Some background: There is a very fine dark gray sediment (muddy almost) that comes in constantly from our well. We have a basic GE whole house water filter using a filter with a micron rating of 30-50. It filters out the sediment and the water pressure is good and the water crystal clear for about 2 weeks of use. After that the pressure drops because the filter is clogged and I change the filter and start the cycle over again. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years since I bought the house, but we're now putting on a very large addition in the fall and I want the problem fixed rather than band-aided.

Our well was put in back in 1985 and is 305 feet deep with the pump set at 295 feet, with PVC casing. I don't know if the pump has ever been replaced, or any other history of the well other than the aforementioned info that is stamped on it. We've gotten several opinions about the problem from well companies to a friend of ours who has worked for the EPA for 30 years dealing with water issues of all kinds.

Opinion #1: The pump is stirring up sediment from the bottom when it comes on, and raising the pump 10 feet could fix it. That suggestion also included putting in a new pump for a total of about $3k-$4k.

Opinion #2: The casing isn't deep enough and adding a liner that goes deeper than the current casing to get past the sediment area could fix it. Probably around $1k.

Opinion #3: Drill a new well. Around $12k.

We don't want to throw good money after bad with this one, but also would rather not drill a whole new well if we don't have to. I found this forum when ordering more filters and figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts on here for additional opinions and advice. Much thanks in advance.
    Yes, it needs a liner. That will work.

I water well should never ever pump dirty water.
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

I would raise the pump first just because it's the least expensive thing to try but beware that if the well is producing silt it will only be a matter of time before the case fills and you are right back to square one. Sleeving is more expensive, works well but in time, same thing as the silt will build up around the sleeve. What you probably don't want to hear but what is the best solution is to drill another well.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    I would raise the pump first just because it's the least expensive thing to try but beware that if the well is producing silt it will only be a matter of time before the case fills and you are right back to square one. Sleeving is more expensive, works well but in time, same thing as the silt will build up around the sleeve. What you probably don't want to hear but what is the best solution is to drill another well.
    Maybe the size of the well makes a difference. We have had great success with lining 5" PVC with 3" PVC.

There was a local area driller that was consistently 20/30 foot short on the casing.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

saving a buck no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    saving a buck no doubt
    Yep...the state took his license.

jdiver is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all of the replies. A couple of followup questions:

1. Is a water analysis something the county health department would perform?

2. What is involved with putting in a liner? Is the age of the pump and the fact that it's pumping this sediment a major concern, where we should likely replace the pump as well as the liner?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiver
    Thanks for all of the replies. A couple of followup questions:

1. Is a water analysis something the county health department would perform?

2. What is involved with putting in a liner? Is the age of the pump and the fact that it's pumping this sediment a major concern, where we should likely replace the pump as well as the liner?

Thanks again.
    In Michigan you can just go get the bottle and mail it to the lab.

Ask your health department.

I can tell you how I would liner a 5" PVC.

Take out the pump.

Blow the hole out with the air compressor on my rig. If it is REAL bad we can rime the hole out with drill rods.

Put the 3" down the 5" casing until the last piece.

If I was add 60 foot of liner, I would put a 3" to 5" capc on the three inch.

Just keep push it down to almost the bottom of the casing.

Then develop it just like a new well.

This is a full day's job.

About the pump. It is not necessary to charge the pump however, if it is old think about what it would cost to take it back out later.

Just a matter of playing the odds on that one.