Thread: Where to test my water?

asmart82 is offline Junior Member

Default Where to test my water?

How do I get my water tested to find out what type of system I should go with? I plan to get an over the counter type system from Lowes or Home Depot but I'd like to get my water tested to find out what all I need.

Are there companies that do this or what are my options?

I'm located in Orlando, FL.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by asmart82
    How do I get my water tested to find out what type of system I should go with? I plan to get an over the counter type system from Lowes or Home Depot but I'd like to get my water tested to find out what all I need.

Are there companies that do this or what are my options?

I'm located in Orlando, FL.
    If you are buying it from Lowes then ask Lowes to provide a full service for you. Or go to a laboratory and pay for a complete water test.

You can also buy a test kit from filtersfast.com
    http://www.filtersfast.com/WaterWork...iltersFast.asp

Why do you want to go with that type of water system? Are you familiar with the level of quality those systems have compared to professionally supplied systems?

Actually, I have no clue what I want. I know everyone in my neighborhood has well water and they all have expensive water systems. I don't have the money to purchase a $2k+ system and the Lowe's/Home Depot versions are pretty easy to install.

I've just started looking into the options I have and know the first thing I need to do is get a water test. I have not been able to find a lab in my area that does water testing, so I wanted to see how I should go about getting it tested.

FYI, the only thing I plan to do with my tap water is bathe and wash dishes/clothes. I won't be drinking it or using it for cooking.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Have you checked the Yellow Pages? There may be some professional companies in your area that do in-home water tests. Try to be honest with them at the get-go and let them know your intentions. Give them an opportunity to offer you their services and follow-up service ability.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Most county health departments will give you sample bottles and you just mail them in.

I keep test bottles here but, I am in Michigan.

Call your county and ask!!!
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

I purchased two of the test kits from Filters Fast and will see what kind of results I get from that. The county I live in charges $90 just for Lead/Nitrate testing only and it takes 45 days.

I'll be back in a couple days with the results from the Filters Fast test kits I purchased!

Default Test Results... what now?

I did the strip tests I received from filters fast. Below are the results:

Copper -------------------- 0
    Free & Total Chlorine ------- 0/0
    pH/Total Alkalinity ------- 8.0/240
    Iron ----------------------- 0-0.05
    Total Hardness ---------- 180-250PPM/11-15GPG (Hard to tell which one it was)
    Nitrate/Nitrite -------------- 0/0.15

Where to now?

Thanks again for everyones help!

PRR
    PRR is offline Junior Member

> Total Hardness ---------- 180-250PPM

200ppm is HARD water. A lot of mineral. Usually calcium or magnesium.

Soap turns to soap-scum in your laundry and bath. (Most modern detergents are effective in reasonably hard water.)

You have "lime stains" in sinks and inside your pipes and water-heater.

http://www.fcwa.org/water/hardness.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

The hundred-buck filters won't take this out.

Hardness is "dissolved", atom-size minerals. No simple (paper, carbon, etc) filter can remove atoms.

The classic answer is "Culligan" water softener. You can buy similar systems from many companies. They can treat more than just hardness. They are not simple or cheap.

The classic water softener is a bucket of special "salt" treated to attract calcium. Your water has a lot of calcium and the "salt" gets "full" quickly. A "back-flush" operation rinses the excess minerals to a drain.

Another way is Reverse Osmosis. Water is forced through a magic membrane which catches selected impurities. Again there is a flush process, waste water, extra plumbing.

Iron at 0.05 is not a concern. 0.3 can leave iron-stains; you are far below this.

pH of 8 is alkaline, which is typical of hard water. Can make coffee bitter. Makes it more likely you will have "lime scale" problems.

Short-term, you tinker with soap brand and amount to get good results in laundry and bath. You scrub the lime out of faucets and cook-pots; I bet your local stores stock a "Lime-Out" product.

Long term, lime chokes your water heater and maybe your pipes. Lowes et al will sell you a water heater and press-on pipe couplings at low price... you may just want to see how it goes.
    Last edited by PRR; 10-10-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Daniel is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by asmart82
    I did the strip tests I received from filters fast. Below are the results:

Copper -------------------- 0
    Free & Total Chlorine ------- 0/0
    pH/Total Alkalinity ------- 8.0/240
    Iron ----------------------- 0-0.05
    Total Hardness ---------- 180-250PPM/11-15GPG (Hard to tell which one it was)
    Nitrate/Nitrite -------------- 0/0.15

Where to now?

Thanks again for everyones help!
    Keep in mind that we do sell a couple water softeners at Filters Fast. They're special order, but we should be able to get them very quickly should you want to order one.

http://www.filtersfast.com/Filters-F...C-Softener.asp
    http://www.filtersfast.com/Filters-F...I-Softener.asp

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

windy138 is offline Junior Member

It is free or I have to pay?
    If I must pay, how much it costs?

--------------------------------
    [/url] no spamming
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 10-27-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Can you tell about the water resource from where you getting water?

I think water softeners will solve your problem as my friend suggested you already but though i am not getting clear about resource of your water because if the water is not municipality then you should buy RO system which is more preferable as per your conditions.

Well water, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonstewart
    I can assure you , if you have the rite product then you can test your water at your home , it need some filters or softners for the job which will totally purified the water and show you the result.
    Not for bacteria.

It has to be done in a lab.
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.