well water in Western Washington
My Well Water
1. Iron - about 10 times to much
2. Manganese - about 18 times to much. When oxidized turns everything orange and brown. Also caused my neighbor's finger nails to darken and crack.
3. pH of about 6.
4. Dissolved Sulfur - it smells.
5. Lots of dissolved solids and tannins.
6. Iron fixing bacteria. Not good for children....
I know part of the solution is a green sand filter which will filter the high Manganese but I need to raise the pH to about 7 first.
I had my water tested by a Culligan Systems guy. He has said that for about 8 grand that he can fix me right up...
I have a friend that thinks that is crazy. He thinks that a slow sand filter (with some kind of organic slime) that has green sand in it is the solution...
Is there some kind of organized way to address these problems?
Thanks for any insights...