Thread: Copper pipes

Unhappy Copper pipes

We have all copper pipes in our house, it is turning our sinks green. Do you have a water filter we can at least put in our kitchen that will filter out the copper from the water we drink. My husband says it would cost a fortune to replace all these pipes with pvc. Please advise.

stephanie is offline Senior Member

Default Watts Kwik Change RO

Quote Originally Posted by FiltersFastEmailQuestions
    We have all copper pipes in our house, it is turning our sinks green. Do you have a water filter we can at least put in our kitchen that will filter out the copper from the water we drink. My husband says it would cost a fortune to replace all these pipes with pvc. Please advise.
    Thank you for your email. The type of system that I would recommend to reduce the copper in your water is a reverse osmosis system. This system is the best at reducing solid and dissolved copper in the water. I have provided a link to a system that I would recommend: http://www.filtersfast.com/Watts-WQC...ter-System.asp. This system is great because the filters are color-coded, are simple to replace, and are inexpensive and very cleanly. There are many more specifics on our website as far as the installation and contaminant removal of this unit. Here is also an inexpensive copper test kit to ensure that this RO is working: http://www.filtersfast.com/SenSafe-c...lters-fast.asp Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for choosing Filters Fast!
    Last edited by stephanie; 10-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Well, I see TWO problems here. One: the user is fearful of copper getting into their drinking water, and, Two: their piping and fixtures are deteriorating.

From what limited info is being gleaned here, I would say you have low (below 7) pH. This will cause your copper pipes to turn a blusih color from corrosion. This problem should addressed as pipes will eventually become so pitted that pin hole leaks will develop and then there will be no choice to replace your plumbing.

ROs can take out significant amounts of copper for drinking water purposes and this will help but it is not a complete solution. If your water has a low pH, then an RO will drop it even further and acidic water should be avoided as it can place demands on the body to neuralize it biologically.

An acid neutralizer system would be needed to offset the the pH to an acceptable level.

Get your water tested and get back with us here.
    Andy Christensen, CWS-II