Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannins- Best way to remove them?

Tim Woods is offline Junior Member

Default Information

The number on the disc is a three, Our water is very good @ the present time. On one of your eariler Emails you said you thought I could take out the 5 micron prefilter, when the system was first installed it did not have the prefilter, and the chunks I will call them caused the valve in the head to stick and had to be taken apart and cleaned to stop the water flow. I think/hope I bought a great system I just thought by adding the prefilter I could extend the life of the system, and save money in the long run. The discharge hoses on the Tannis filter and the discharge on the softner are both clear in color and so far have not been stained by the Tannis or the Iron, is that good/Bad/Ok The system uses very little salt and I use the green bag rust fighter type

Thanks

Tim

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Tim,

Thanks for getting back. Sorry to hear that the valve had trouble. But if the media in the top two tanks is Macrolite, then it is extremely strange that these chucks are getting into the valve mechanisms.

The media filters water down to between 3 and 5 microns. These limits have been tested and certified by the NSF labs. No unfiltered/unsoftened water passes through any disks, valves, pistons, gears, or any other moving parts. The water comes into 1.25" ports and goes immediately into the filtering media. There is no upper distributor, either.

So I am puzzled how the valve was affected as you mentioned. There are others with more experience with Tannin filters. I am not sure if drain/backwashing lines will be stained, but it seems likely that if they are clear, eventually they will be discolored somewhat.

Glad to hear the Kinetico unit is working.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Obviously since chunks got through the Macrolite, it isn't filtering down to 3-5 mics. But then you did say the limit for iron was 1 ppm and he says he has 8 ppm, so just possibly the chunks were rust or IRB.

BTW, certification is done in a lab with controlled water temp etc. and spiked water, and as we know, water chemistry varies widely from one source to another. It may be a mistake to depend on lab data when the equipment is going to be used out in the real world. But aren't we lucky that most equipment sold is not certified but real world proven.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Tim,

I sent a PM.
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12