Thread: Arsenic Filter

motoxlrg@msn.com is offline Junior Member

Default Arsenic Filter

I have a GE MWF filter in my refrigerator, will it filter out arsenic?
    If not, is there a filter that replaces the MWF that will, or an inline filter that I can add to my refrigerator water line that will?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Default Arsenic filters

Have you had your water tested for arsenic? What type of aresenic did they find? I don't know of any fridge filter that has gone to the trouble of developing a filter either for arsenic-III or -V, let alone to be certified by the NSF.

Before getting any water treatment product, get a complete and thorough test. There are a number of ways to treat for arsenic. You can get a special iron oxide adsorption material, anion exchange resin media or reverse osmosis. One RO company, that I am aware of, also includes a special arsenic filter to add to its line for additonal assurance of arsenic removal.

Get test results and don't rely on speculation or dread. The MCL is now at 10 parts per billion, down from recently from 50 ppb. Arsenic in the water can be very serious.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

motoxlrg@msn.com is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. The letter I received from the water company did not list the type, just that the number was 16ug. I will request further info from them. Who would I contact to have my water tested?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Contact a local water treatment company and ask them if they can determine which arsenic species (As-III, arsenite or As-V, arsenate) you may have. If not, them ask them where that can be done locally. The local county health board may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II