Thread: new iron filter..now I have black sediment !

Sandra Ped is offline Junior Member

Default new iron filter..now I have black sediment !

One month ago I had an iron filter added to my existing water softener system. It is an aeration system using only oxygen and then a backwash cycle to remove iron and manganese from my water. I have used a water softener for years and it did an ok job but some rust would get through and water would smell of sulfur a little. I thought maybe adding an iron filter would improve the quality of the whole system. I was told it would remove iron and manganese from the water before it went through the softener thus clearing up the problems I had previously described. They said it would also help extend the life of the water softener. I have been using and Ecowater softener system and it was doing ok but not great. Since installing the iron filter the water seems very soft but I am getting a black sediment in my hot water tank.(manufacturer suggested that I drain water tank: which I did but no success) When I draw hot water in the tub it turns a grayish black and there is a lot of settled black particles that fall to the bottom of the tub. When you rub your finger across the sediment it will stain them a blackish color. This is happening occuring regularly for the past month but sometimes the water is not gray but clear with some particles in it and other times I get both gray water and particles. The fellow that installed this system is stumped and the company as well. No one knows why it is doing this. Can someone shed some technical light on this.

Perplexed
    Last edited by Sandra Ped; 06-11-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

It's probably due to H2S residue coming loose from inside the pipes or, out of the softener but that's a stretch. Or from galvanized pipe. Whatever it is from, it will probably stop in awhile and usually is worse at a tub etc. that isn't used frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    It's probably due to H2S residue coming loose from inside the pipes or, out of the softener but that's a stretch. Or from galvanized pipe. Whatever it is from, it will probably stop in awhile and usually is worse at a tub etc. that isn't used frequently.
    That is probably what is happening. I had a well and pump plumber come out yesterday and he adjusted my pressure tank. It seems I may have a leak in my well system that is letting air into the system. The spewing of air into the pipes is most likely causing the pipes to release the build up that has been accumulating over the years. It seems to be getting a little better since he adjusted the water pressure tank. If that does not take care of the problem the next step will be replacing the well pump and cleaning the system. Yikes!
    Very expensive but that is what home ownership is all about. I was thinking this morning that I really don't own my home....It owns me!!

An air leak in the well.... wrong.

You have an air injection system and if you have air in the water at the fixtures, it isn't working correctly. That means the plumber doesn't know what he is doing and you should find out why the Puritan is allowing air in the water at the fixtures, not replace a pump which wouldn't/can't cause air in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    An air leak in the well.... wrong.

You have an air injection system and if you have air in the water at the fixtures, it isn't working correctly. That means the plumber doesn't know what he is doing and you should find out why the Puritan is allowing air in the water at the fixtures, not replace a pump which wouldn't/can't cause air in the water.
    I just drew some water in my bathtub and guess what...blaaaack water. I let it drain and the sediment in the tub was charcoal black. I used a tissue to wipe it and the tissue was pure charcoal black. I have disabled the iron filter and I will see what that will do over the next 3 days. I don't know what to do now. I did not have this problem before the installation of the iron filter. It is getting me crazy. If I let the water run for a while it will clear up temporarily. It seems that each time the iron filter cycles is when the black water is the most black. Any suggestions?

You didn't tell me if you have air in the water at the fixtures or not... Calm down and think.

The black stuff won't hurt anyone or anything.

Do you have air in the water?

Do you get this black sediment when the filter is in bypass?

Did you ever see it before the filter was installed?

What do the people you bought the filter from say?

Did you install the filter yourself, hire a plumber to do it or did the guys you bought it from install it?

Hello Gary,
    I will try to answer your questions in the order that you asked them.

I am not sure what you mean by air in the fixtures. When the water has been turned off there is some spewing coming from the faucett, toilet, etc. There is also small air bubbles in the water when it goes into the sink making the water look cloudy for a short time.

The manufacturer suggested that I pull the by pass lever so I just this hour did that.

I had the plumber come out and check things and he could not find the problem.

The plumber suggested I call a pump and well man to come out. He came highly recommended by a respected plumbing company here in INDY. He came and reset my water pressure tank two days ago. He said if that did not take care of the problem they would come back and check the well pump by pulling it out and checking the gauges. He said it could be material breaking of in the well. Since then I am still having the problem after resetting the pressure tank, that was probably not the issue

I then called the manufacturer and he has never heard of a problem like this before.He is going to send someone here to try and figure it out. They are a reputable company and are willing to help me get to the bottom of this problem. I sure hope it isn't the well pump.

Thank you so much for your input. I hope to get this resolved soon.

Sandra
    Last edited by Sandra Ped; 06-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.

I received a PM about this, here it is and my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Ped
    Hello Gary,
    Yesterday I by passed the iron filter then my water softener regenerated last night. This morning water was clear and without any flakes or gray water. It seems you were right on the money when you said it was not a problem with the well pump. I guess we will have to remove the iron filter . How do I ask to be reimbursed? Doesn't look like it will work for me.

Thank you,
    Sandra
    You should contact the guys you bought it from, there may be something wrong with it that could be fixed easily.

Please post in your thread so others can learn. I'll post this there and you can reply there.

Air at the fixtures means spitting and sputtering when you run water at a sink etc.. If so the air injector is adding too much air and that is usually adjustable. Too much air will scrub the inside of the plumbing cleaning it of any sediment buildup. That will add 'dirt' to the water at the fixtures; especially a tub.

Although you don't say who you bought it from, sad to say that most plumbers selling water treatment equipment don't really understand the equipment or know how to troubleshoot problems.