Thread: Terminox iron filter

cwphoto is offline Junior Member

Default Terminox iron filter

Hi:

Anyone using a Terminox iron filter ? I'd like to get your feedback on how you like it.

Troy
    Last edited by rscardigno; 06-10-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: remove name as requested

Gord51 is offline Junior Member

Bump

I am interested in hearing any feedback on the terminox iron filter as well

gblume is offline Junior Member

Default New Terminox Iron Filter to be Installed 1/2 or 1/3

I just received my Terminox Iron Filter and supplies. I will be installing the system after the holidays.

My situation is a private well in southeastern Massachusetts. The flow rate of my water is 6 gallons per minute. I am trying to correct an iron bacteria problem. My water analysis before treatment was: Iron 1.45 mg/L, Manganese 0.38 mg/L, pH 7.28, and Hardness 18.6 mg/L. The standard plate count came in too numerous to count. I have also tested the water for e. coli, total coliform, heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, and a spectrum of organic contaminants (52 different compounds). The test did not detect any of these contaminants. Aside from the iron, manganese and bacteria my water test report is cleaner than the reports of local municipal water supplies.

We have been living with our safe but unappealing domestic water for 2.5 years – fighting the constant staining of our plumbing fixtures, washing machine, and dishwasher. Fortunately our clothes have not been discolored and the water does not have a strong odor. We do not drink or cook with the water. We spend $40 to $50 per month on bottled water.

I had water a purification company out to the house to help us solve our water quality issues. They told me I had hard water and that I need a water softener. They also said that I did not have iron bacteria – never mind the slimy build up in my toilet tanks and never mind the standard plate count test results. The purification company’s solution was going to cost me more than $5000.

My internet research lead me to solutions ranging from water softeners, chlorine injection systems, periodic shock chlorination of the well, ultra-violet water treatment systems, and iron filtration. I decided to go with a Terminox system. The system purchased injects soda ash (a water softener) to raise the pH to 7.5 and injects chlorine (lowering pH) to oxidize the iron (and kill the bacteria). From there the water will enter my pressure tank and then proceed into the Terminox Iron Filter. On the other side of my iron filter I hope to have safe, clean and drinkable well water. The $1200 Terminox system functions as a water softener, chlorine injection system and iron filtration system.

My primary fear (besides wasting money) is that the system that I have purchased introduces an unsafe chemical or an unsafe level of chlorine to my water. My understanding is that the Terminox filter should remove the injected chlorine, without adding any additional chemicals to the water. I will be conducting another extensive water analysis after I have installed the system. I will post the results of the test and my thoughts on the new system.

Gblum:

I ended up going with a system from the clean water store, I believe they call it the filox. It's very similar to the terminox. The terminox is not going to function as a water softener, only a water softener is going to get rid of calcium via salt. It's an ion exhange.

The terminox and other systems oxidize the suspended iron and manganese and they collect on the media. Be sure to back wash it every 2 to 3 days. A water softener is just going to make the iron bacteria problem worse, so unless the water is extremely hard, I would just leave it alone. You can put a carbon filter at the end of the line to remove the chlorine. There are types that contain no organic matter that would feed the iron bacteria. I believe with the chlorine injection, your iron bacteria issues will be gone. You can get a test kit and check the PPM of chlorine. I'm not sure the safe levels, but believe it's one part per million. You can always adjust your injection system or dilute the bleach solution until the levels are safe.

I believe that most municipal utility systems use chlorine, so what you are doing is similar. I do not believe that much chlorine will be absorbed through the skin, the real issue is for drinking. You can always get a reverse osmosis system too and that will solve the problem.

My iron levels were close to 8 parts per million, and not sure of the manganese levels, and I also have hydrogen sulfate problems. The filter has completely eliminated the iron issue and manganese. Water tested at 0 ppm after the treatment. Most of the smell is gone of sulfur, but still do have it in hot water, so I will be replacing the anode rod with an aluminum/zinc one.

Overall, these filter systems work wonderful! I now have better water than the city, taste much better and is clear!

I can see that on doing research on these filters that most of them use similar types of media. The type of valves that are used differ, back wash frequency and pressure. I think I ended up paying about $700 for mine and got free shipping. I'm not so sure about this pH requirement that is claimed. I think it may be marketing hype. Lower than 7.5 may reduce the effectiveness, but they still do work. My pH is at 6.8, and I have no issue. Soda ash is changing your pH level, but does not soften the water.

If it wasn't for the iron bacteria problem you probably could have eliminated the injection system, but that will take care of any smells. I would consider a reverse osmosis system if you're going through $50-$60 in bottled water per month. It will pay for itself in short order.

Troy
    Last edited by rscardigno; 06-10-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: remove name as requested

gblume is offline Junior Member

Default Iron filters

Thanks, Troy - I will let you know how I make out.

I will eventually go with an RO filter for the kitchen. I will also put a Charcoal filters in the lines supplying the shower. The wife has grown accustomed to showering in chlorine free water.

My sulfate levels were 7.6 mg/L and my calcium was at 4.6 mg/L.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gblume
    Thanks, Troy - I will let you know how I make out.

I will eventually go with an RO filter for the kitchen. I will also put a Charcoal filters in the lines supplying the shower. The wife has grown accustomed to showering in chlorine free water.

My sulfate levels were 7.6 mg/L and my calcium was at 4.6 mg/L.
    Sounds to me like you're going to have a great system when this is complete! Normally carbon can feed iron bacteria, but again, with the injection system that problem should be eliminated. I guess that chlorine can react with certain dyes and hair color treatments, so the carbon filter sounds like a good ideal. The RO systems do remove all the minerals from the water as well, so I guess that's one drawback to them. Some minerals are good for us! With the carbon filter installed, perhaps the water will taste fine? My water taste great after the filox system. My only objection to my water at this point is the sulfur smell in the hot water. Tried to remove the anode Rod from the HW tank over the weekend and could not budge the sucker-- no doubt rusted in there. Looks like I'll have to rent an impact wrench. Happy holidays to you!

Troy

amd
    amd is offline Junior Member

Default Terminox iron filter

i have this unit..it works ok but in the 4 years we have owned it the timer has been replace three time and we are now having trouble with the fourth one...the system is cheaper than a water softener but i would try to buy one with a better timer or longer warranty.
    Last edited by rscardigno; 06-10-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amd
    i have this unit..it works ok but in the 4 years we have owned it the timer has been replace three time and we are now having trouble with the fourth one...the system is cheaper than a water softener but i would try to buy one with a better timer or longer warranty.
    I opted to buy a unit from the clean water store called the Filiox. The media is almost identical to the Terminox, but the valves are of much higher quality. I have learned in talking to a number of people that the best thing about it is their advertising. Gerry from the clean water store has provided outstanding customer service, and believe the units he is selling are much higher quality than the Terminox. I have not had any issues with my unit since I purchased it, and my water is fairly bad. No issues with the valves either.
    Last edited by rscardigno; 06-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.

WaterGirl is offline Junior Member

Smile Terminox

Terminox is DEFINITELY the way to go! It is the best high quality water filter system you will find. If you want something that is easy to set up and maintain, this is the one. After you install it, you can set it and forget it. The system will run maintenance free and you will be done. They work better than any others I have ever seen and the the customer service and tech support are AMAZING!

RolandS is offline Junior Member

I've been looking at the Mangox, CleanWater, and the Terminox, BudgetWater. Both are very helpful dealers but the Terminox system has more "bang for my bucks". I plan on a 1.5 cuft filter, a chlorine injector (to make sure there is no iron or other bacteria) and a 5 stage RO filter with a demand pump remoted in the basement for drinking/cooking water. The well supplies about 12gpm, so backflush volumes are met, and the pH is 7.0. The real problem is iron, manganese and sulfur. I have asked BudgetWater about the timer problem and they told me that they replaced the original timer/valve system with another model that has cured the problem. After I get everything installed and running, I'll re-post here to let everyone know the results. I had a local plumber here with a National water conditioning company and got an estimate of $4700 to fix the problems and that didn't include the RO filter system. The cost, form BudgetWater, will be well under $2000 with shipping.

RolandS is offline Junior Member

I got the Terminox system installed and am very happy with the system. I do have to say that support from Budgetwater is a little "spotty". I ran into a problem with the RO filter while I was installing it, fittings seemed to be incorrect, and called them for help. I was told they would call back, that was almost 3 months ago, and still no call. I solved the problem myself, granted it was an "air head" moment problem, but a call back would have been a little more reassuring. I also asked a question by email, abouth a month and a half ago, and haven't heard anything on that one either. Neither question was/is criticl, but at least an acknowledgement would have been nice. The system itself works as advertised and is a mix of greensand and pyrolox. I did have a heck of a time getting it to backflush cleanly before I could put it into actual use. It took about 24 hours of backwashing spread over three days and I was starting to worry about running my well low. Our water quality is now excellent, better than bottled water from the tap, with 114TDS, no iron, no manganese and no H2SO4. From the RO filter the TDS is 12 with nothing detectable other than that. PH is around 8.0 from both. Overall I am satisfied, but a little put off by the support, or lack of it.
    Last edited by RolandS; 05-06-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Typos

napergman2013 is offline Junior Member

AMD,

What is "this unit". I am interested in the Terminox Iron removal system. Anyone with any experience with it, please respond.

napergman2013 is offline Junior Member

WaterGirl,

What other systems did you consider? Thanks for posting about your Terminox experience. It is on my shortlist right now.

steve is offline Junior Member

roy,
    just installed a terminox iron filter this weekend, (10" Therminox ), with soda ash injection to raise PH. My PH was around 6.8 and just decided to raise to be sure, since the Therminox likes the 7.5 PH so much.. My iron level was around 8.0 PPM and I am waiting on professional test kit from Budget water to know exactly what results I have ended up with (iron & hardness)but can already tell a big difference. Mixed the soda ash way to strong in the beginning and ha to correct that issues, "BRAIN FART" to say the least. Will post my final results once I get that test kit. Installation was not so hard, but the first time around was a bear for me. I have a lot of piping experience, but going to Lowes or Home-depot made it even harder to get what I need to pipe the unit in (never had enough of either material to pipe it in).. "very frustrating"... I had copper and changed over to PVC, "due to cost of cooper right now" (WOW),, I suggest Schedule 40 PVC, "my preference" for any future plumbing.
    Also, Budget Water needs to hire more phone techs. 1 person serving 40 to 50 customers does not work. Shaw, "that I liked so much and was so much help" just quit and did a tech I was using last year. Seems they are trying to do more with less like every other company these days. But we need good phone support out here in the field & not to be put on HOLD or wait on a call back. That phone service has gone down hill over the past year or so,(need more on the phone) but they seem to be doing more business now than ever before, "figure that"..
    This a wake up call to Budget water, not only does your product sell your company, so did your service and that is what I have been telling others, please don't make us tell people other wise. Thanks!!

steve is offline Junior Member

Roy,
    here is most recent update: 7-14-14
    installed the 10" terminox iron filter with a soda ash injection to raise PH. My PH was 6.8 as mentioned but is now around 7.2 to 7.4 & my iron that is in the water is down to 0,, "NO IRON", and then I fixed my Autotrol water softener, and I can say I have the best water I have ever had. My TDS is around 325 and from my RO tap at the kitchen sink, the TDS is around 83. I tested bottled water @ 187 TDS at a PH of 6.8. I think I am drink and bathing in water better than bottle water. I decided to go it alone, since I only was told from salesman, to buy their product, I bought from budget Water, but was mentioned, their service quality has dropped off a lot over the past 2 or 3 years. I am beginning to think all US companies have gone bad, but will say Budget water support has really fallen off the slope. I buy from them because of the price and used to be because of the service as well, but is now only because of the price!.. sad, very sad!!