Thread: Well water filtration system not working

JStG is offline Junior Member

Default Well water filtration system not working

I recently purchased and installed 2 2.5 cubic foot backwashing filters with fine calcite media. The purpose of a 5 cubic foot system was to also handle the requirements of my irrigation system (8 to 10 GPM).

I also purchased and installed an aspirator that is located before the expansion tank, which is the largest tank that well Xtrol makes for residential. Before the aspirator, I have a 60 mesh filter to capture large sediment.

Currently I am working off of 1 filter as I am not irrigating at this time. I have 2 major issues. First, my water is worst that it was with my old filter. It seems that the iron is not only staining, but I can actualy see the discoloration in the water. Second, I aspirator has very small openings that greatly restrict the water volume. On backwash, my pressure drops to aroun 32 PSI. It is generally between 55 and 65 PSI.

I spent close to $2,000 for the system and am very disappointed. I have not heard back from the person I had dealt with. I would like to understand the issues with the system they sold me prior to speaking with them.

These are the facts: 3-4 ppm of iron. 2 grains of hardness and 6.0 PH before the filter.

I think the issues I have are twofold. First, I believe that a large portion of the iron is oxidizing AFTER it passes through the filter. The hot water is worst than the cold, which leads me to believe that additional oxidation is occurring in the hot water tank rather than the expansion tank.

The second issue is related to the aspirator. I do not believe that this process will work with my system due to the restriction in water flow.

From the research that I have done, it would seem that I should have installed a chlorine injector rather than an aspirator. The chlorine almost immediately oxidizes the iron which would allow for it to be filtered out through the backwashing filters. I also believe that their flow rates are much higher than an aspirated system.

The final question. Is fine Calcite the media choice for low PH, manganes(level unknown) and iron filtration, or should there be some other media in the tank as well? I want to avoid cartridge filters as I believe that the system I have should do the job.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Calcite IS used for acidic water systems but the level of pH may influence whether is works alone or in combination of other chemicals such as magnesium oxide and filter ag. For a pH of 6.0 the calcite should adequate.

If your tanks each hold 2.25 cubic feet of calcite, they would probably be 12" to 14" in diameter. Is this a twin tank system or two individual systems each having its own valve?

What size piping do you have? 3/4" or 1"?

Calcite is a very heavy media to lift during backwash so you flow rate must be adequate for the job. Each tank must backwash at different times and not together.

Since you are using an aspirator (aeration venturi, I assume), you are converting ferrous iron to ferric iron and then it must be filtered out. It is a good chance that the calcite, alone, is not enough to filter the preciptated iron out enough. So, your water turns red. A softener will do nothing to remove this type of iron.

The 60-mesh filter...is that a replaceable cartridge or a backwashing filter?

PSI will drop during any function of water treatment. 32psi should be enough for most applications. However, if you are using 3/4" piping, you are limited to the actual flow rate of about 12-14 gpm, maybe not enough to lift 2.5 cuft of calcite.

Chlorine is a good oxidizer for iron but it doesn't do it immediately. Normally a 10- to 20-minutes retention time is recommended for the chlorine to precipitate the iron. This will also act a disinfectent, deodorizer and precipitate other elements in your water.

Sometimes filter ag is added to the calcite tank to act as a filtering media, but, again, backwash flow rates are essential.

Many problems can be avoided by having a water professional do the work...especially one you can reach for further service. Sometimes going cheap can be very expensive.

Andy

jimcro55 is offline Junior Member

Sounds like a big issue here. I would probably go out and hire a professional so this mess does not get any worse. Is the 60 mesh doing its job? Do you think that you should change this mesh?

JC
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 05-07-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    Is Andy pretending to be someone else again'er what? He's done that on other forums for years.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/home-imp...-ass-a8bab.htm
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Yeah, some spolied son explumber in daddy's plumbing business/exinspector/high scrool plumbing teacher posted that because he lost his bet with me when he set out to get me banned from TL's forums last summer along with your buddy/ex MI exwell driller/supposed to be retired pump guy/pretend softener-filter salesman in FL. The moderator that helped them didn't fair too well either. And then you got banned there mutilple times too, along with another well driller and Andy etc. etc..

BTW, I see your post of that link on city-data has been deleted. I hear you're close to being banned there and on DIYchat again too. And my phone is ringing more frequently.

Yeah, some spolied son explumber in daddy's plumbing business/exinspector/high scrool plumbing teacher posted that because he lost his bet with me when he set out to get me banned from TL's forums last summer along with your buddy/ex MI exwell driller/supposed to be retired pump guy/pretend softener-filter salesman in FL. The moderator that helped them didn't fair too well either. And then you got banned there mutilple times too, along with another well driller and Andy etc. etc..

BTW, I see your post of that link on city-data has been deleted. I hear you're close to being banned there and on DIYchat again too. And my phone is ringing more frequently.
    Better look who deleted it. ME. Reading is fundamental.

I was agreeing with you about the ad above.

BTW, I just earned my first gold star on CD.

A.... that link above... I see your posts have been deleted and the text in my replies has been deleted but the posts were left as placeholders. That means I didn't do anything wrong but you did. And BTW, I didn't report your posts or say a word to anyone about them and poof they're gone all on their own.

That kinda takes the sheen off that gold thing you think so much of.

Did they ban you too?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JStG
    I recently purchased and installed 2 2.5 cubic foot backwashing filters with fine calcite media.....
    JStG,

I can understand if you have shyed away from the thread. You may contact privately members who clearly wish to help.

Hope you have solved your issues.
    Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 05-11-2010 at 02:08 PM.

A.... that link above... I see your posts have been deleted and the text in my replies has been deleted but the posts were left as placeholders. That means I didn't do anything wrong but you did. And BTW, I didn't report your posts or say a word to anyone about them and poof they're gone all on their own.

That kinda takes the sheen off that gold thing you think so much of.

Did they ban you too?
    More lies??? If you go to the forum the whole thread is gone. Even on the link still here my posts were deleted as off topic/orphaned.

Why would I be banned???

NH Master is offline Senior Member

Are you sure you want to go with that? Because it you bothered to read that page a bit further ( and god knows your reading and comprehension skills are about 4th grade level at best ) I believe that there is an explanation in there.

As for being banned. Remember, I have only ever been banned from ONE forum. You on the other hand have been banned from several. Furthermore, you are within a hair of being banned from two others at this point, though I notice that you have backed down quite a bit over at TL's. Things have been pretty quiet lately so I figure you must be bored or something. Why not get out and enjoy the scenery. Go fishing, play golf, unwind a bit. You will live longer. BTW, I notice that Peter has been re-instated (gee wiz, wonder why?) though last time I spoke with him he said he would never post there again thanks to you. Notice also (and I'll bet Terry has) that except for AK, Bob and occasionally Wally, no other professionals bother to post on the filter and pump forum because of the constant harrassment and bellittling from you. Those forums are all but dead now and Terry has you to thank.
    Last edited by NH Master; 05-11-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Driller1, the link you posted above shows my posts as orphaned and none of your posts. Your thread in the Off Topic forum there was there last night.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    Are you sure you want to go with that? Because it you bothered to read that page a bit further ( and god knows your reading and comprehension skills are about 4th grade level at best ) I believe that there is an explanation in there.

As for being banned. Remember, I have only ever been banned from ONE forum. You on the other hand have been banned from several. Furthermore, you are within a hair of being banned from two others at this point, though I notice that you have backed down quite a bit over at TL's. Things have been pretty quiet lately so I figure you must be bored or something. Why not get out and enjoy the scenery. Go fishing, play golf, unwind a bit. You will live longer. BTW, I notice that Peter has been re-instated (gee wiz, wonder why?) though last time I spoke with him he said he would never post there again thanks to you. Notice also (and I'll bet Terry has) that except for AK, Bob and occasionally Wally, no other professionals bother to post on the filter and pump forum because of the constant harrassment and bellittling from you. Those forums are all but dead now and Terry has you to thank.
    You are talking as if I was talking about you by name NHMaster. I didn't mention any names, only a reference in regards to the person that posted the ripoffreport threads about Terry Love and then me.

Moderator Andy, this is another personal harassment attack on me.

NH Master is offline Senior Member

(Quote Slusser) You are talking as if I was talking about you by name NHMaster. I didn't mention any names, only a reference in regards to the person that posted the ripoffreport threads about Terry Love and then me.

Normally your complaint might fly but since on several occasions, here and elsewhere you have accused me of being Peter, wally and god knows who else, it won't take much digging to get to the bottom of that one. As for personal attacks, what's personal there? It's nothing but the facts man.

And, I see you still have not bothered to read what was posted by me on either report.