Thread: Replacement filters for Culligan system

tjk.tjk@comcast.net is offline Junior Member

Default Replacement filters for Culligan system

I have a Culligan Medallist 8 Tank, to remove heavy iron from a private well and a chlorine solution tank with a Pulastron pump metered into a mixing chamber. See photo:

I want to replace the original filters Culligan installed in 2004, and have been buying replacements over the past few years which don't seem to be working as well as the originals. I realize I may need to order other brands of filters, but I not sure which one to choose.

The original Culligan work order i 2004 describes them as:
    BIG BLUE 10 IN
    20 IN BIG BLUE CARBON
    Here's a photo of them from 2004:

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

On this special day, from one Vietnam Veteran to all other Vets...Thanks for your service!

Tom Kucharik

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

They are just standard cartridges; GAC carbon in the 20" and probably a 20-50 micron 10" string wound sediment.

ps. From one Vietnam era Vet (USAF 60-65) to another, you're welcome and thanks for serving.

Thanks Gary.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

tjk.tjk

Thanks for the PMs and sorry to have kept you waiting. As mentioned the larger filter is a granulated activated carbon filter (GAC).

We use chlorination/dechlorination systems but they are configured quite differently.

Looking at your picture I am trying figure out the water flow and equipment sequence. I have seen Culligan use this arrangement...or something close to it.

The two large thanks to the left are pressure tanks, I take it, right? These are not retention tanks for the chlorine, are they? I wonder why two of them are there.

I see that you chem-feed pump is activated by a flow switch, right?

Your chlorine is injected into the mixer tube and then goes immediately into the 20" carbon filter. Thus the iron stains at the top of the filter. I believe this is a major error in equipment. The chlorine causes precipitation of dissolved iron (or sulfur, etc.).

This causes two problems. One: The filter has no backwashing ability and collects precipitants causing poor water flow and just makes the media at the bottom (upflow filter) of the filter gungy--for lack of a better word.

Two: the small amount of carbon in the filter can't possible last very long with full strength (no mixing or retention) chlorine going into it. This means the amount of chloine would need to be increased to perform the same effect as a retention system would, making the filter's life even shorter.

The reason for retention is to allow the chemical and water to mix for at least 20 minutes to allow the chemical to cause precipitiation (disinfection in some cases). The precipitants settles in the bottom of the tank and can be flushed out periodically.

By the time the water gets to the backwashing filter, the chlorine should only be between 0.7 and 1.3 ppm. A test valve on the top of the tank can test chlorine levels so pump cycling can be adjusted. This will make the carbon last a long time.

I'll stop now,
    Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 11-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Andy,

Thanks for the info, the mild chlorine solution, about 1 gal to 50 gal water, simply removes a funny order. The iron is/was our main problem. Based on Gary's response I already ordered the filters.

Thanks again.

Tom

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tjk.tjk@comcast.net
    Andy,

Thanks for the info, the mild chlorine solution, about 1 gal to 50 gal water, simply removes a funny order. The iron is/was our main problem. Based on Gary's response I already ordered the filters.

Thanks again.

Tom
    I am glad you are satisfied with the solution. Hope it works out for you.
    Andy

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

The two pressure tanks are probably due to a low producing well or to reduce cycling of the pump and extend the life of the motor.

Looking at Andy's picture, I see the Kinetico guys used 3/4" CPVC to plumb all that equipment with. I strongly advise against 3/4", if I used CPVC, it would be 1". Note that the filter has a Fleck 2510 control valve on it and not a Kinetico control valve. I also see that the softener is bypassed and they didn't use a factory by pass, they plumbed a 3 way manual by pass, which causes dead ends in the plumbing. That's not a good idea.

Here is a picture of the chlorination system I have sold since the mid 1990s. There is also a softener in the picture. The system is much more compact taking up much less space than a solution feeder type and it costs substantially less then a solution feeder and a correctly sized retention tank while the maintenance and cost of maintenance is greatly reduced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

morevilla is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help !! Help !! Help !! Culigan filter nightmare

I need help with a culligan's whole house depth filter !!!! Water goes in clear and comes dark out of the filter !! Help !!!