Thread: Filter recommendations please

torbau is offline Junior Member

Default Filter recommendations please

I have a three filter big blue 20" system . I am drawing from a lake and my water tests are coming back good but I found that I had to replace my carbon filter quite often (2 months)
    The first filter is a 20 micron pleated. second is 5 micron carbon and third is 1 micron absolute pleated.
    Would I be better off using string wound filters? Not sure if I need the carbon filter or the 1 micron absolute. I have a UV system after the filters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by torbau
    I have a three filter big blue 20" system . I am drawing from a lake and my water tests are coming back good but I found that I had to replace my carbon filter quite often (2 months)
    The first filter is a 20 micron pleated. second is 5 micron carbon and third is 1 micron absolute pleated.
    Would I be better off using string wound filters? Not sure if I need the carbon filter or the 1 micron absolute. I have a UV system after the filters. Any advice would be appreciated.
    It sounds like you have a good system, it just needs some tweaking to make it more economical ( ie. not having to replace filters as often ). Carbon filters are normally used with municiple water supplies to remove chlorine taste & odor or "bad taste & odor". I have heard of people using them with well water to remove odor but could give you no response as to their success. Basically you'll have to try the system without the carbon filter to see if it's actually making a difference or not. I can tell you for sure that at 5 microns it's nothing but a taste & odor filter so the difference you'll want to look for is in the odor of your water. If you can manage without a carbon filter that's going to save you money because carbon filters are more expensive than sediment.

As far as string wound vs pleated paper...The general consensus is that string wound works best for well water. However Aqua-Pure actually makes a filter constructed with graded density, meaning the pores on the surface of the filter get smaller as the move toward the core of the filter. This prevents dirt and sediment from clogging up the outside of the filter as quickly, thus the manufacturer claim that these filters last about 30% longer than a normal filter.

This is what I would try if I were you. You didn't specify the diameter of your filters so I've listed both standard types. Hope this helps.

2 1/2" Diameter

P25-20(20 micron sediment filter)
    PD-10-20(10 micron sediment filter)
    AP1003 (3 micron sediment filter; you'll need the coupler to connect these)

4 1/2" Diameter

S1-20BB (20 micron sediment filter)
    AP810-2 (5 micron sediment filter)
    *Unfortunately we don't have any 1 micron in the 4.5 diameter for sediment filtration (although you could stack two of the WP1BB97P filters)

OR you could eliminate the need for the 3 step housing by getting the

DGD-2501-20
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Surface water treatment needs some special considerations.

I have treated a number of surface water applications from private ponds, to Lake Erie lake wells to community wells. All have unique problems and thus, unique solutions.

Surface water can change from day to day, season to season and even minute to minute. A simple filtration system like you have may or may not be adequate. Surface water is an incredible 'collection device' for all kinds of contaminates.

You said your water tests "good" but what does that mean, actually? When it comes to water treatment I try to prefer the objective to the subjective. It would be difficult for me to believe there is not some organic elements in your water as even the most pristine lakes contain large amounts of microorganisms and other organic matter.

The triple-filter system you have would do a minimal, at best, removal of these elements. I would not advise carbon filteration on surface water as a 'primary' treatment as it can harbor and colonize microorganisms and create, rather than inhibit, organic growth. Even bacterialstatic media like KDF would not be your best choice.

Can you mention what your water test were and their results? I would recommend some kind of disinfection system.

Andy