Thread: Sudden sediment in the water

Mark Queijo is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Sudden sediment in the water

This morning I noticed the toilet had been running all night. I stopped the running but the bowl was dirty and there was a film of sediment on the bowl. I flushed several times and the water was still dirty. I backwashed the filter several times, ran the water through the faucets and flushed the toilets several more times and eventually the water cleared up.
    It seems running the toilet all night caused the well pump to pull up sediment from the bottom of the well. Does that mean I was reaching the point of running the well dry? What if the toilet had been running for a few days and not just one night?

Driller1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Queijo
    This morning I noticed the toilet had been running all night. I stopped the running but the bowl was dirty and there was a film of sediment on the bowl. I flushed several times and the water was still dirty. I backwashed the filter several times, ran the water through the faucets and flushed the toilets several more times and eventually the water cleared up.
    It seems running the toilet all night caused the well pump to pull up sediment from the bottom of the well. Does that mean I was reaching the point of running the well dry? What if the toilet had been running for a few days and not just one night?
    Maybe not. My guess is the stress cleaned your pipes a little.

Keep your eyes on it a few days. I wouldn't loose any sleep right now.
    Trying to help people NOT get cheated ON THE NET.

Unhappy

What is the danger if the toilet had run for a few days?

What is the danger if the toilet had run for a few days?
    It would depend on your well. Mine it would not hurt at all. I know some parts of the country lack water.

What kind of well do you have? How much water does it produce?

I'm not sure what kind of a well I have or how much it produces. I live in Massachusetts. When I bought the huose in 2000, they tested the well and reported "started flow test at 5GPM for first hour, had some draw down then leveled off. picked up flow to 6GPM had little draw down stepped up to 7.5GPM had continual draw on well. went back to 6.5 and it maitained yield.

Could a toilet draw 6.5GPM? Is it possible with it being winter the well isn't replenishing as quickly as normal?

I am not sure what a toilet takes. Your well is not a big producer but, you can live with it. The weather makes no difference.

Thanks for your help Driller1, I feel much better now. I just need to make more of an effort to make sure the toilets aren't running when I go to bed.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

It also means that the toilet tank could have had sediment build up in it and the toilet running all night flushed the sediment out of the tank into the bowl. That is much more likely than a problem with the well because a toilet only flows in refill at a bout 1.2+/- gpm and your recovery rate of the well should be much higher than 1.2 gpm; the test showed 6-7 gpm but, if that toilet running for 8 hours pulled the well down to cause dirty water, you have a potential problem with the well.

You'd think a well driller would know that huh?

Next time you see dirty water in a toilet, check the toilet tank for sediment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    It also means that the toilet tank could have had sediment build up in it and the toilet running all night flushed the sediment out of the tank into the bowl. That is much more likely than a problem with the well because a toilet only flows in refill at a bout 1.2+/- gpm and your recovery rate of the well should be much higher than 1.2 gpm; the test showed 6-7 gpm but, if that toilet running for 8 hours pulled the well down to cause dirty water, you have a potential problem with the well.

That was included in my statement about scouring the pipes. Ya see Gary you did not read the PM's. Looks like Gary would know what HIS motor home would look like yet, he posts pictures of someone else's motor home. In my part of the world, that is called a lie.

NH Dan is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser

Mr. Slusser. I have been read your worthless attacks and opinions on a few other forums. Anyone can see your agenda. You should ask yourself one question. WHO CARES?

NH Master is offline Senior Member

And here we go again.... Yet another thread, where the OP asks a perfectly valid question, gets a couple of useful replies and then it gets all muddied up with useless arguments that absolutely nothing at all to do with the subject at hand. Yes NH, you have indeed found similar posts on similar forums with similar results. Just ignore it, maybe it will go away or get booted. BTW where you from in NH? Cold as hell here past couple days huh? Got to go buy another couple of tons of pellets for the stove soon if this "global warming" keeps up

NH Dan is offline Junior Member

Newport NH. Sorry. I will change my sign in name.

Unhappy

Well, I found the banter entertaining, but yes, the black sediment came out of all the faucets and toilets, not just the toilet. I think I may have a well problem if the toilet draws 1.2 GPM.
    On another note, my wife now claims the water isn't as hot when she takes a bath. We have an oil burner and a tankless water heater. Does anyone know if this is something that may now need to be backflushed and if so how?
    It's been cold here in MA too. Right now I'm looking at about 6 degrees and wind! I burn wood and I'm keeping the stove cranking night and day. It doesn't help having wide open northern exposure.

Well, I found the banter entertaining, but yes, the black sediment came out of all the faucets and toilets, not just the toilet. I think I may have a well problem if the toilet draws 1.2 GPM.
    On another note, my wife now claims the water isn't as hot when she takes a bath. We have an oil burner and a tankless water heater. Does anyone know if this is something that may now need to be backflushed and if so how?
    It's been cold here in MA too. Right now I'm looking at about 6 degrees and wind! I burn wood and I'm keeping the stove cranking night and day. It doesn't help having wide open northern exposure.
    Where are you taking your measurements from? The best place for you is the sample tap on your pressure tank. If not, make sure you check any filters Do you use a water softener? If so, by-pass that and see if the pressure increases.

If your well has a screen, they will get plugged up over the years. Call your local health department and see if you can get a copy of the well log. If not, ask if GENERALLY the wells in your area have screens.

If it does have a screen, some drilling companies with change them. You will need to talk to a local driller. They know their area.

Sounds like your well is old. They do not last forever. Start saving for a new one, just in case.

About your hot water, I do know about those.

I am in Michigan. It is cold here too. Thank God for global warming or we all would freeze. LOL
    Last edited by Driller1; 01-10-2010 at 09:55 AM.

you may have sediment in the tempering valve and possibly the coil but I would start by taking the top off the tempering valve and flushing it out.

Go away spammer

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NH Master
    Go away spammer
    He has been deleted but is doing this to other forums as well.

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Who are you talking about? That wasn't me.