Thread: Brand NEW Here and Lost in Water Filter World!!

vontech is offline Junior Member

Smile Brand NEW Here and Lost in Water Filter World!!

We just moved to Albuquerque, NM and found the water to be horrible. Apparently a community water system fed by wells. The water stains the sinks, applicances, etc.

We had Culligan come and do a study and this is what they found:

Hardness 14g
    pH 7+
    Iron 0
    TDS 500
    Hydrogen Sulfide 0

This is our new "dream home", and we'd like to get it supplied with the highest quality water we can. I've investigated GMX, Aquasana, Kinetico, Pelican and others, but I might as well be reading Chinese upside-down...

I'm completely confused. Are some of these systems just marketed as "pyramid" schemes.

I really want to get the best I can for this house, so our water is clean and clear.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Vonny

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

You need a water softener, not a filter. Look for a softener with a Clack WS-1CS control valve.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 04-16-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vontech
    We just moved to Albuquerque, NM and found the water to be horrible. Apparently a community water system fed by wells. The water stains the sinks, applicances, etc.

We had Culligan come and do a study and this is what they found:

Hardness 14g
    pH 7+
    Iron 0
    TDS 500
    Hydrogen Sulfide 0

This is our new "dream home", and we'd like to get it supplied with the highest quality water we can. I've investigated GMX, Aquasana, Kinetico, Pelican and others, but I might as well be reading Chinese upside-down...

I'm completely confused. Are some of these systems just marketed as "pyramid" schemes.

I really want to get the best I can for this house, so our water is clean and clear.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Vonny
    First off, GMX, Aquasana and PelicaN ARE not SOFTENERS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! Don't be mislead by advertising that they are.

as for being confused with the whole industry, I feel your pain. There is so much to take in and one can be easily lead the wrong way to solving problems.

Although your water is extremely harde (acc to the wqa.org), it is not unmanagable. A quality softener can handle your needs. Some, of course are better than others.

Your test numbers don't ring true. At 500-+ TDS, this doesn't add up. In other words, there are additional elements (inorganic) included in your water unless the TDS measurement was off. You didn't have a chlorine or nitrate/nitrite readings. There are other tests that can be done, as well.

Pyramid schemes fall under a specific marketing category (illegal) and none of these would fit that. Some of the products you mentioned may be done on-line and others are done locally. A local company can serve you personally. If you can, speak with others that are experiencing similar issues and find out what solutions work and don't.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

Vonny, call a few local dealers and have them give you a quote and then call some online dealers. Beware that local national dealers will usually insist on coming out to the house rather than giving you a quote on the phone; local independent dealers usually will give a quote on the phone as online dealers do.

Then make your decision based on if you want to be dependent on a local dealer for installation and any service (ask if they will sell you parts, most won't) or independent as a DIYer and install and service your softener yourself.