Thread: Which Filter

blueguy is offline Junior Member

Default Which Filter

Is there a whole house water filter that would do the same results as the following mentioned product for my humidifier (just mainly for the calcium)?

Anti-Scale Inline Humidifier Water Filter
    Our in-line humidifier water filter is perfect homes filter that is for homes with severe hard water mineral scale problems. The filter uses polyphosphate media to inhibit the formation of mineral scale by reducing scale-causing dissolved minerals like calcium by up to 95%. It installs on your incoming water line, and typically lasts at least one full humidification season.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    blueguy

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Polyphosphates don't eliminate hardness minerals; they are primarily used to manage iron and magnesium which react with oxygen (or other oxidents). It sequesters them in suspension so as not to "appear" dissolved and not cause scale build up. They DO function to a degree.

Polyphosphates react with dissolved iron and manganese by trapping them in a complex molecule that is soluble in water. As a result the iron and manganese are not available to react with oxygen and precipitate. I'm not sure as to how well they react with calcium as calcium is not converted by oxidation in the same manner.

Polyphosphates can be fed into the water system with controlled injection equipment. Polyphosphates are not stable at high temperatures. To adapt a system for whole house use a few things must be considered.

One, the volume of water will greatly increase as compared to a humidifier. The crystals must be replenished as they dissolve. These are not cheap and you will need to monitor the sacrificial medaia.

Two, if water is treated prior to heating in a water heater, the polyphosphates will release iron and manganese in the heater as they break down. The released iron and manganese will then react with oxygen and precipitate.

Three, they are not biodegradable and will last 'forever' in the environment. many detergents add these and other chemical softeners to help sales due to owners not willing to softener water through more standard methods. trends today are to reduce phosphates and polyphosphates for this reason.

For, (personal) I don't like to idea of consuming these chemicals knowing their ability to not react with oxygen and their inert qualities.

I would suggest another approach which can have many additional benefits especailly since you admit to having 'extremely hard water'. ...But PP filters are very cheap.

Andy Christensen CWS

Thanks Andy CWS for your reply. When you say: "... PP filters are very cheap", are you referring to the "Pleated Paper Filters"? If so - that's what I am using now in my water filtering system. I guess that is sufficient enough for the humidifier. I thought I might even use the "Carbon Wrapped Water Filters" because it has a Micron Rating of 5 where the Pleated Paper Filters has a Micron Rating of 20.

Thanks again,
    blueguy

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

I'm sorry,I was acronyming PolyPhosphate.

Again, some filtration applications are adequate for small flow or consumption but suddenly become problematice with other uses. A softener is far more practical to deal with hardness issues with point of entry systems.

Andy Christensen

Thanks Andy CWS again - maybe I forgot to mention this but the water filter is for my humidifier only and not for the whole house. I had used a whole house filter before and was removed and also was no longer being used. I added a humidifier this year and wanted to filter the in-coming water. The above-mentioned filter is some of the products that the manufacture was offering. Which to my opinion their prices were too high and I thought I might be able to do it cheaper.

blueguy