Thread: IF-80 Kinetico - How much sand to rebed?

matt is offline Junior Member

Default IF-80 Kinetico - How much sand to rebed?

Hello All,

We installed a Kinetico IF-80 Manganese Greensand filter with (10x16 regeneration) in 1997. It gave us 11 years uninterrupted service. Raw water is not terribly bad, we were required to get a filter because the Manganese/Iron levels were just above local limits.

Iron 2-5 ppm
    Manganese 4-6 ppm (though I do not exactly recall, it is not too bad)
    Hydrogen sulfide
    Hardness 4 gpg - not concerned about

Would anyone know how many cu/ft of material is required for this model? I am trying to save some money and use a different media by re-bedding the system myself. According to Inversand - Greensand Plus is a direct replacement in every sense of the definition over traditional Greensand. So, I am trying to avoid emptying out the filter and physically measuring the sand.

Thanks

Matt

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Each tank takes 0.82 cuft of media.

You will need to empty the media out and replace it with new. The biggest problem has been that greensand tends to solidify and becomes difficult to remove without some effort. If this is true, then all more the reason NOT to simply add media to meet fill capacity.

A high pressure hose, like at a car wash, might help. Be careful about forcing a hard steel rod or something down into it to break it up.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

matt is offline Junior Member

Thanks Andy -

Yeah, poking a hole in the tank would be the last thing I needed. If the old greensand has solidified, I have a pressure washer that I can use. I do not think the local carwash would appreciate me filling up their drains with sand....

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

That should work. I have always wanted to rest the GreensandPlus media that uses chlorine instead of PotPerm to regenerate. It just seems to make a lot more sense and a l lot safer and less messy.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II