Thread: Pleated Whole House Filter?

cpgreen is offline Junior Member

Default Pleated Whole House Filter?

Recently I had my well installer out because of a "no water" issue, and I asked him what he recommended for whole house per-filters. He said to go with a pleated filter...but on this website is says "This product is recommended for use with chlorinated water supplies only".

Question: why is this pleated filter a "chlorinated water" only filter?

Thanks!

Chris

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cpgreen
    Recently I had my well installer out because of a "no water" issue, and I asked him what he recommended for whole house per-filters. He said to go with a pleated filter...but on this website is says "This product is recommended for use with chlorinated water supplies only".

Question: why is this pleated filter a "chlorinated water" only filter?

Thanks!

Chris
    Would not know why they say that, I have been using pleated big blue filters from 1 micron to 50 micron on water with sand and or iron for 20 years... and no problems other than the sand or iron building up in 2-6 months depending.
    The most that I like to see the filters run is 12 months...

Alex is offline Senior Member

Default Pleated filters w/ wells

Pleated filters can be used in well water but can only be synthetic.

If you are looking at a pleated cellulose filter, the cellulose media will break down with certain well bacteria. So, cellulose filters are only recommended with chlorinated water to prevent bacteria attack of the filter.

If you currently use a pleated cellulose in well water, you may notice a slime developing on the pleats, this is the first sign of bacteria attack.

For well water, you will want a spun polypropylene like the Pentek DGD series (Dual Gradient). For a synthetic pleated filter, use the Pentek R series (pleated Polyester) for well water.

lissa martin is offline Junior Member

I dont think so there is something just for chlorinated water, and from my point of view if it says the same add a little chlorine to water after all this will be helpful in killing germs present in water.