Thread: Omnifilter Whole House Model U25

Russ is offline Junior Member

Default Omnifilter Whole House Model U25

I have an 8 year old U25 installed just before my water softener. Both work perfectly. The filter keeps sediment out of the softener 0-rings, and I've never had a problem with either device. I use Omnifilter's string wound sediment filter. Here's my question. I was installing a new filter cartridge and read a statement from the filter package that said the clear cartidge tank must be replaced at 5 years. I retrieved my installation instructions and also found a statement that says, "The filter tank has a limited service life. Replace it every five years." The filter tank looks as new as the day I installed it 8 years ago. Is this thing really going to explode? My house is built on a slab so a full flow of water running at 45 psi could flood the whole house very quickly. If I need to replace the cartridge tank, where do I find one for an 8 year old unit? I see that the current U25 is not the same, and I saw a statement from Omnifilter that said the current cartridge tank was not compatible with the previous U25. If I need to replace the whole filter, should I get one that does not have a clear cartridge tank and would such a filter last longer than 5 years?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    I have an 8 year old U25 installed just before my water softener. Both work perfectly. The filter keeps sediment out of the softener 0-rings, and I've never had a problem with either device. I use Omnifilter's string wound sediment filter. Here's my question. I was installing a new filter cartridge and read a statement from the filter package that said the clear cartidge tank must be replaced at 5 years. I retrieved my installation instructions and also found a statement that says, "The filter tank has a limited service life. Replace it every five years." The filter tank looks as new as the day I installed it 8 years ago. Is this thing really going to explode? My house is built on a slab so a full flow of water running at 45 psi could flood the whole house very quickly. If I need to replace the cartridge tank, where do I find one for an 8 year old unit? I see that the current U25 is not the same, and I saw a statement from Omnifilter that said the current cartridge tank was not compatible with the previous U25. If I need to replace the whole filter, should I get one that does not have a clear cartridge tank and would such a filter last longer than 5 years?

I have filter housings out there for more than 20 years. Occassionally, an o-ring may need replacing. Use only a silicone lubricate (not petroleum jellies) and keep the threads clean and you should have no problem.

Is the housing subject to freezing temps or direct sunlight? Exremely high water pressure (either positive or negative)? Abuse? If not, I would not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS
    I have filter housings out there for more than 20 years. Occassionally, an o-ring may need replacing. Use only a silicone lubricate (not petroleum jellies) and keep the threads clean and you should have no problem.

Is the housing subject to freezing temps or direct sunlight? Exremely high water pressure (either positive or negative)? Abuse? If not, I would not worry about it.
    Are the filter housings that are 20 years old, clear? From my reading it appears that the clear plastic has a shorter life span than solid plastic. I've been using a little vegetable oil (Canola) on the 0-ring, is that ok?

The filter is in an equipment room that is part of the house, so it is always house temperature (60-80 degrees including vacation setbacks). No direct sunlight. Pressure reducer on line set at 45 psi. The only action the cartridge tank gets is from unscrewing it every three months to replace the filter. I use the notched filter wrench that came with the unit and, because it is always difficult to unscrew and wants to torque the water pipe, I also use an oil filter band wrench so that I can turn from opposite sides of the tank at the same time. I hope this doesn't constitute abuse. For some reason, even though I only tighten the tank by hand, it always requires the wrenches to loosen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS

Andy, I forgot to ask if you knew if it is possible to get a replacement filter housing for this unit. I wouldn't care if it is another brand as long as it fits. I'd be especially interested in one that has a very long life.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

It really depends on the threading and whether another screws on or not. If all else fails, ghet another one like you have and keep it as a spare. But of course, if total failure occures, it would be too late.

I suppose they are telling wners to replace them because somewhere down the line, one broke and caused a lot of grief for them.

You might have to plumb another in from scratch. Any local water treatmetn dealer or plumbing supply sote should be able to help you out.

Andy