Thread: Water pump puzzle: Which is more likely?

H2Obuffalo is offline Junior Member

Default Water pump puzzle: Which is more likely?

Hello-

I'm getting a small, old, very basic house in Thailand ready to move into, and a water pump question has come up. Does anyone have a best guess what might be happening in the following situation?

1) A water pump at the mouth of the house's (private) water well normally drives water into the house without problem. But...

2) When I hook up two 15-liter water filters (manganese greensand and carbon, respectively) to the water system, forcing the pump to push the water through quite a bit of filtering material, the pump gets the water through at a good rate, but soon makes a strained, moaning sound, and.... the master fuse for the whole house's electicity blows.

3) Replacing the fuse (which I originally thought might be old) does not help. The same thing happens again.

Without knowledge of electricity, I'm guessing that one of two things is happening. Can anyone here tell which is more likely from an electical perspective?

Scenerio A: Maybe the pump is too SMALL and too low wattage to do the new job being requested of it. In other words, maybe the filtering material puts up too much resistance and the pump is just not strong enough to push the water as usual, so it strains, quits, and blows the house fuse. In this scenerio I should probably buy a bigger pump.

Scenerio B: Maybe the pump is too BIG and too high wattage to do the job being asked of it. In other words, maybe the pump is used to pumping a LOT of water through the house relatively easily, and when it meets a significant restraint from the filtering media, it just can't push as much water as it is designed to push, so again it strains, quits, and blows the house fuse. In this scenerio I should probably buy a smaller pump.

Unfortunately quite a bit of (my own) money is on the line. I was planning to replace the old pump anyway, but now I don't know if the electical issue is being caused because I need a bigger (higher watt) pump or a smaller (lower watt) pump. If I buy one size and then find out it was the other one I need, I will be be out a lot of extra money.

My local filter salesman/technician has a recommendation, but based on past experience with him I don't really trust his knowledge about electricity (or filters for that matter), and I don't want to prejudice anyone here's own guess as to what's happening with the fuse, so I won't specify which size (bigger or smaller) pump he recommended.

Is there an obvious answer to this puzzle based on how electicity and fuses work and how water pumps interact with water filters? Is it clear to anyone whether I should buy a large or smaller pump, based on what is happening with the fuse?

Thank you very much for any insight and advice.

-Paul

Daniel is offline Junior Member

Hello H20 Buffalo,

It sounds like scenario A is the most likely, but my knowledge lies mostly on the filtration side.

We've got many knowledgable members and moderators on this board who should be by soon to answer your question. If they don't, I'll check back in with you and we'll try to work through this.

Thanks,

Daniel