Thread: well water pH is 6.39

frysk is offline Junior Member

Default well water pH is 6.39

I recently purchased a home with well water and had it tested. The only issue the water had was the pH level was slightly acidic (6.39). How concerned should I be? It seems to me that a calcite filter is the way to go. How do I size a filter for my house? Any other thoughts. Thanks.

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by frysk
    I recently purchased a home with well water and had it tested. The only issue the water had was the pH level was slightly acidic (6.39). How concerned should I be? It seems to me that a calcite filter is the way to go. How do I size a filter for my house? Any other thoughts. Thanks.
    On average one can do 1 cubic foot of calcite to 3-4 gallons per minute of flow rate.

How big is the house? or what is the max flow rate that the well pump will do?

Just a shot in the dark but I would say that you are looking at about 2 cubic feet of calcite if not a little more with the ph at a 6.4

Gary Slusser is offline Banned

In my experience most well pumps won't be able to satisfactorily backwash 2.0 cuft of calcite. I'd go no larger than 1.5 cuft and depending on how many people, backwash like every 2-4 days.