Thread: Low Pressure and Want to Upgrade

h20camper@verizon.net is offline Junior Member

Default Low Pressure and Want to Upgrade

I currently have a 10" whole house filter and my water pressure is low. Also, we are having a drought this year and now we are getting quite a bit of silt so my filters are getting dirty quickly. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I am reading, a 20" filter should benefit us and how much more would a 4.5" x 20" filter help. Increasing pressure is our greatest concern.

Thanks

Akpsdvan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by h20camper@verizon.net
    I currently have a 10" whole house filter and my water pressure is low. Also, we are having a drought this year and now we are getting quite a bit of silt so my filters are getting dirty quickly. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I am reading, a 20" filter should benefit us and how much more would a 4.5" x 20" filter help. Increasing pressure is our greatest concern.

Thanks
    It would be a big help, it might not increase the pressure like you are thinking but it will let the water through better.

How is the pressure before the current filter?
    And what micron are you using in it?

Think of the filter like a bridge... the one you have right now could be like a 2 lane bridge with a 4 lane road on either side, the large one or big blue as they are often called because of the first ones out would be like making the bridge into a 4 lane bridge.

h20camper@verizon.net is offline Junior Member

I'm not sure how much my current pressure is. Over the years, I have tried 5, 10, 20 & now 50 micron filters. I just started the 50 micron filter today because I'm having lots of silt because of a real bad drought condition. Which is the bigger bang? Going from 10" to 20" (2.5") or from 20 "x 2.5" to 20" x 4.5"?

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by h20camper@verizon.net
    I'm not sure how much my current pressure is. Over the years, I have tried 5, 10, 20 & now 50 micron filters. I just started the 50 micron filter today because I'm having lots of silt because of a real bad drought condition. Which is the bigger bang? Going from 10" to 20" (2.5") or from 20 "x 2.5" to 20" x 4.5"?
    Surprisingly enough, IO have found only marginally improved conditions when switching from 10" to 20" filters. If silt is a problem, 20"ers will fill up nearly as fast. Most silty waters will not be well filtered with 'larger' micron diameters.

Longer filter life can be acheived with pleated type filters as they are washable and reusable. If the problem is chronic, a backwashing filter, although more expensive, will help service and reduce on-going maintenance.

Discover excactly, if you can, just what it is you are filtering. if the well has collapsed, then that is another snake to kill.