Thread: Whole-house filter for shower?

DaveofTN is offline Junior Member

Default Whole-house filter for shower?

Since shower fittings are 1/2" and there are 1/2" inlet/outlet filters, instead of buying those shower filters, can't I just use a 10" whole house filter hooked up to my showerhead with a high-flow filter like the Pentek Floplus-10?

Or would it weigh too much or something?

I currently rent my apartment and have lots of fishtanks, so a whole house system isn't feasible just yet. I know a single filter won't reduce chlorine/flouride/etc completely, but I figure it has to do a better job than those smaller showerfilters and last longer...

Thanks for any insight!

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DaveofTN
    Since shower fittings are 1/2" and there are 1/2" inlet/outlet filters, instead of buying those shower filters, can't I just use a 10"whole house filter hooked up to my showerhead with a high-flow filter like the Pentek Floplus-10?

Or would it weigh too much or something?

I currently rent my apartment and have lots of fishtanks, so a whole house system isn't feasible just yet. I know a single filter won't reduce chlorine/flouride/etc completely, but I figure it has to do a better job than those smaller showerfilters and last longer...

Thanks for any insight!
    What water conditions are you trying to take care of?

No, do not use a carbon filter for shower heads. Shower filters use KDF, which is great for hot water applications. KDF will last a long time and will not create an ideal place for bacterial colonization.