Thread: Newbie Question

Zooming993 is offline Junior Member

Default Newbie Question

We just purchased a house, which uses well water. The house has three (3) inline filters (WC34 PR) along with a UV light system in the basement. My questions has to do with the filters, are all 3 filters suppose to have the same type of cartridge or should each filter have a specific type of cartridge?

Thanks for your help.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

If you have a UV light, there must have been some need for it. Do you know what that might be? Can you give the brand and model of the UV? GPM?

Need more information

Andy CWS,

I don't why the UV system was installed. I checked the unit and it reads as follows:

Ultraviolet Disinfection Unit, Model #SE15.

In addition to the three WC34 PR filters I found a larger filter further up stream, W10 PR. I have to admit I know very little about water purification. In addition to the water softener there is additional tank of similar size Iím pretty sure it controls the acid level. Prior to purchasing the house we had the water tested, the results are as follows:

pH 6.8
    Hardness 5.3 gpg
    Iron <.02 mg/L
    Manganese .012 mg/L
    N Nitrate 4.12 mg/L
    N Nitrite <0.1 mg/L
    Total Solids 144 mg/L
    Corrosivity -0.5

Again, thanks for your help.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Your UV sounds like a generic model. That is most likely a NSF Standard 55, Class-B system, which means it does not have the safetly options and features that Class-A systems have. Thes einclude alarm systems, shut off solenoids and light intensity monitors.

15 may refer to flow rate in gallons per minute.

The biggest problem with installing UVs on hardwater is that the quartz lens that surrounds the UV bulb get 'foggy' from calcium deposits and inhibits the irradiation of the organisms' DNA/RNA--thus making it a moot piece of equipment.

Now your water IS hard so I am betting the lenz is covered.

The lenz can be replaced with the bulb and I would advise that anyway since you are the new owner. Bulbs are good for about 9000 hours, or around 12 months of continuous use. Can you take a picture of it and post it? Is there a big rectangular box at the end?

As for the filters. I would put a 20-micron filter in the first cannister, 5- in the second, and a block carbon filter in the last---then the UV, right?

Andy, CWS

Andy,

Thanks for the response. Providing answers to some of your questions is difficult because we havenít moved into the house yet. I have most of the ownerís manuals so I may be able to answer some of them. The Ultraviolet unit is manufactured by Aqua Treatment Services, INC. Specs. Are as follows:

Model: SE-15
    Capacity: 15 GPM
    Lamps: 1
    KW @ 120V: 0.07
    Amps @ 120V: 0.6
    Dimensions: 36Ē X 4Ē X 7Ē
    UV Dosage: >30,000

As for the location of the UV unit, Iím pretty sure itís after the 3 filters. The UV unit was installed in June 2003 and I donít know if the bulb was ever replaced. I'm going to check out the filters you suggested.

Thanks

georgnox is offline Junior Member

It is good you are doing some research on the water filter systems in your new house. There are lots of good water filter systems on the market, so I will advise you to replace the old one at your new home with one of the latest water filter systems.

Regards,

Links changed due to spamming
    Last edited by Andy CWS; 02-12-2011 at 03:59 PM.