Thread: extremely dirty well water

chas is offline Junior Member

Default extremely dirty well water

My water is brown coming from the well. I presently have an omni whole house filter that just can't keep up (the filter is cleaned or replaced weekly).
    Does anybody know of a backflush system (that doesnt use too much water) that can filter my muddy water (well output is 5 gals a minute).

Thanks in advance.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

Has your well water always been that way or is it something new? You may not be able to find a band-aid big enough. A new well may be needed.

A backwashing valve using filter-ag in an 8- or 9-inch with a 5gpm backwash.

Andy Christensen

chas is offline Junior Member

Default dirty water

Yes Andy it has alway been a bit cloudy, but now it has gotten brown, not really sure why, but in the last few years we have seen an increase of gas wells in the area.

Could you explain in laymans terms what a "backwashing valve using filter-ag in an 8- or 9-inch with a 5gpm backwash" is exactly and where would I purchase it.

thanks

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

It sounds like you have a bad well.

Filre-ag is a filter media that filters water down to between 15 to 25 microns. There are a variety of backwashing filters including those made by Fleck, Autotrol, Clack as well as national brands such as Kinetico, Culligan, and Hague.

http://www.caitechnologies.com/image...s/filterag.pdf
    http://www.pwgazette.com/fleckbackwashing.htm

But before you buy, get a local recommendation. There's nothing as effective as an on-sight inspection.

Hope this helped.
    Andy Christensen

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Also, has your water ever been tested? How is the PH? If PH is an issue then rather than filter ag you can use and acid neutralizer which will deal with both issues. Always know as much as possible about your water before treating it.

PRR
    PRR is offline Junior Member

Get a water test!!

Brown can be surface dirt. I have that; the old well-grout is failing. The brown is mostly peat, some sand, but also soil-germs. We use a UV system to kill those. If I also had poop-germs (e coli) in this surface-dirt seepage, I would be very concerned.

I use a 100 micron flushable mesh (from Lehman's; this site should stock it but doesn't) to get the big stuff out, then a 4"x10" paper or string filter for the fines. Drinking water gets further filtering and UV treatment.

lissa martin is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    My water is brown coming from the well. I presently have an omni whole house filter that just can't keep up (the filter is cleaned or replaced weekly).
    Does anybody know of a backflush system (that doesnt use too much water) that can filter my muddy water (well output is 5 gals a minute).

Thanks in advance.
    There are many present in market to purify the water for whole house just conduct a survey online or ask to people in your area about this concern.