Thread: New Well, Filter advise needed.

bewing is offline Junior Member

Default New Well, Filter advise needed.

Hello, I had a well drilled back in November, and finally have gotten to the point of getting a pump set and sent off for a water test. The water test is back and I need some help understanding some of the numbers and getting some help with what type of filtration I need. Here is some of the information about the well.

Drilled Depth - 165 ft.
    Hit water at - 135 ft.
    Static Water level - 80 ft.
    Diameter - 6" rock bore
    recovery rate - 10gpm
    Pump - 3/4 hp 10gpm

Now for the test results (All results reported in mg/l unless otherwise indicated

pH - 6.82
    Dissolved Solids - 148
    Arsenic - <0.05
    Harness - 48
    Iron - 1.00
    Manganese - 0.101
    Nitrogen, Nitrate - .260
    Sulfates - 13
    Turbidity - 22 FTU
    Total Coliform - 6 Colonies/100ml

I don't know much about any of those numbers except that the Total Coliform scares me. The well has never been shocked, the driller didn't shock the well back in November when it was drilled, and it was never shocked after the pump was set about a month ago. Is shocking it the right thing to do and re-test. Or should I get some filtration to take care of the bacteria?

It also looks like I need an Iron filter but need some advice or opinions on what type
    (Terminox, pyrolox, filox,.....)?

Thanks

Barret

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Is that 48 grains of hardness I assume? And, 1 PPM iron? Maybe go with an acid neutralizer, followed by a 10" 30 micron filter, followed by a softener followed by another 10" housing with a 5 micron filter and then a UV light. Maybe an RO if you're into drinking water quality.

bewing is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    Is that 48 grains of hardness I assume? And, 1 PPM iron? Maybe go with an acid neutralizer, followed by a 10" 30 micron filter, followed by a softener followed by another 10" housing with a 5 micron filter and then a UV light. Maybe an RO if you're into drinking water quality.
    Thanks for the advice!

It is actually 48 mg/l hardness, which I think works out to something like 2.8 grains. So I might be able to just leave off the softener?