Thread: Backwash Filter Problems continue

cvap is offline Junior Member

Default Backwash Filter Problems continue

I have a 2Cu ft filter using sand and calcite for media. It used to give a nice violent backwashing sound both on backwash and rapid rinse. Now it just gives a quick burst then continues its cycle at a trickle. Could the oring at the top of the tube be leaking or is the media cemented? I have no decrease in flow throughout the house.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

How old is the media?

The media is about two years old. It was the first time I changed it since new in 2000. The only reason I noticed it was because I used to hear it at night, now its quiter than the softener.

I would like to retest the raw water to see if the same equiptment and cycle frequencies are recommended. The water has never been great. A tub full looks teal in color. Ph of raw is 6.17 with very high Mn,10.2, as well as other problems.

Andy CWS is offline Moderator

You may need to rebed the tank. Perhaps some solidification has occured and channeling is taking place when it backwashes.

Do you have a submersible pump?

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

Is it a 1500 unit? Check the piston and drain line at the valve body for obstruction.

Yes I do have a sump pump

Ilm not sure of the valve model or brand but the unit is a 7 gpm cuno/ Aqua pure. The piston leaks a little and everything looks clean at the drain line though I have not disassessembled anything but the drainline elbow with DLFC button

start with the easy stuff. take the drain apart and make sure it's open 100%. Make sure the DLFC isn't restrcited/clogged or anything. At some point I would take the head off and check the media itself and also the upper distributor if there is any.

Everything is clear from the drain to the piston which I can see when removing the drain elbow and DLFC

If I pull the valve off the tank can I blow compressed air down the tube to try to unrestrict the media?

I never tried it. be sure to have another tube on hand in case you blow that one.

I finally figured it out thanks in part to you guys on this forum.

Thought it was a clogged seal/piston assembly. Took that all apart, looked fine.
    I did'nt have the media to replace so I drilled a hole in a cork, put it in the tube, blew 100 lbs of air in, bubblin who knows how many months of solid FE and Mn. Then I put the valve back on, backwashed it till the well went dry, now its good till I order the media.

I guess I'll add a few more pins in the timer and backwash it more often. And use a coarser sand rather than pool filter sand.

Again thanks for the direction.