Thread: new whole house system with sediment filter -filter is black in 3 hours

Will-i-am is offline Junior Member

Default new whole house system with sediment filter -filter is black in 3 hours

New construction 1 year ago, I am on a well in Western New York. The well is 165 feet deep. The water was tested in the fall and it was good with a hint of iron. There is no rust or smell. I noticed that my toilet tanks had black sediment So I decided to install a whole house system with a Hydronex sediment filter good to 5 microns. The filter turned black in 4 hours after installation. I have not noticed any significant pressure drop. I am going to call my well guy again, test the water again. But I wonder whats up, this water was clear 6 months ago. Besides the sediment in the toilets I also noticed sediment in the dog's water bowl the last few weeks. The ice in the freezer is clear but I also have a filter in my fridge that has been working for 6 months. Is there anything else I should check or do. Can I flush the system? There was a suggestion about putting some chlorine in the well and flushing the system. Sorry for the long winded posting, need to provided as much info as possible. Thanks for all feedback

Further to my posted issue - the well guy says its suphur, but I have no smell, I will be getting the water re-tested. There has been lots of rain in Western New York the past month. Another issue may be another water source due to all the rain - is this possible.

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

could be sulphur or manganese. both are treated differently. know what it is before treating it.

to pawaterguy Thanks, My well guy did mention Manganese also.
    I will get it tested and go from there.
    Does anyone have info or a link about the impact of sulphur and manganese on our health

pawaterguy is offline Senior Member

I think the nuisance issues of them both are more the concern here. Sulfur for the smell issue and manganese for the issue of the clogging of the pipes and black sediment issues. I know a company in western NY near Lyons to recommend if you're anywhere near there. IM me if that's the case and I'll get you the info.

Quote Originally Posted by pawaterguy View Post
    I think the nuisance issues of them both are more the concern here. Sulfur for the smell issue and manganese for the issue of the clogging of the pipes and black sediment issues. I know a company in western NY near Lyons to recommend if you're anywhere near there. IM me if that's the case and I'll get you the info.
    There is absolutely no smell in the water - a good thing, so it might not be sulphur. I will be getting the water tested shortly. What is surprising is that this black sediment has really shown up in the past month. Last fall I noticed it in the toilet tanks but not in things like the dog's water bowl. Now it is really bad, Does Manganese precipitate out of solution? Lyons is a little far, we are in Ellicottville. My well guy has the first test report, I need to get a copy. He did mention that the sulphur and manganese were a little high but not critical. He also said that the test for sulphur has to be done on-site. I may also contact the NY dept of Public Health Office in Olean for Cattaraugus Co. Thanks for your help and insight, I will post results when they get done. I hope that I will not be changing filters on a weekly basis. I was shocked how quickly the filter went black. The well guy said change the filter when the water flow decreases.