Thread: The right Carbon Block Filter

Bushido121 is offline Junior Member

Default The right Carbon Block Filter

I just replaced the 20" Iron Filter and the 10" Carbon Block Filter for the first time in my house. The Iron filter housing had the part number witten on it so I know I order the correct filter, but the 10" housing just said carbon Block Filter on it.

I ordered the Ametek, Culligan CBC-BB American Plumber W.5CBHD (CBC-BB)
    .5 Micron, and we have noticed our water pressure is a lot lower, I'm thinking I should have ordered the Ametek GAC-BB, American Plumber WGCHD GAC Filter (GAC-BB) 20 micron.

Does think make sense, they they both have a 4 GPM flow rate.

Thanks.

Jerid
    Last edited by Bushido121; 08-21-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido121
    I just replaced the 20" Iron Filter and the 10" Carbon Block Filter for the first time in my house. The Iron filter housing had the part number witten on it so I know I order the correct filter, but the 10" housing just said carbon Block Filter on it.

I ordered the Ametek, Culligan CBC-BB American Plumber W.5CBHD (CBC-BB)
    .5 Micron, and we have noticed our water pressure is a lot lower, I'm thinking I should have ordered the Ametek GAC-BB, American Plumber WGCHD GAC Filter (GAC-BB) 20 micron.

Does think make sense, they they both have a 4 GPM flow rate.

Thanks.

Jerid
    Here's my reply from the other post...

Hi Jerid,

The higher micron filter may help with your flow, however, I suspect that the filter is becoming clogged very quickly and that is the reason for reduction of flow rate. Do you have a sediment pre-filter that the water goes through before hitting the carbon block filter? Are you on well water? Normally a sediment filter used before a carbon block filter will extend the life of the carbon block. (and they are alot less expensive to replace).
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

I have a 10" 20 Micron washable filter that I swap out once every month or two, next in line is a 20" Iron filter, then the 10" .5 Carbon Filter followed by a by a food grade Phosphate filter and a ScaleBan unit.

I don't think the carbon filter is getting clogged as the flow rate was fine before I changed the filters. I just received the filters from you last week and changed them on Saturday, the old filters were a year old, and yes we have well water, but the water is not that bad, a little iron and it's hard, no smell or bad taste.

I just wasn't sure about what Carbon filter I should order, as the two I mention in my original post both say they have a flow rate of 4 GPM. The one I replaced didn't have a part number so I guessed with the .5 micron. Not sure if I should just order a 20 micron or look to up the pressure in my tank.

Thanks for your help.

Jerid

Roxanne is offline Senior Member

Default Carbon issues?..

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido121
    I have a 10" 20 Micron washable filter that I swap out once every month or two, next in line is a 20" Iron filter, then the 10" .5 Carbon Filter followed by a by a food grade Phosphate filter and a ScaleBan unit.

I don't think the carbon filter is getting clogged as the flow rate was fine before I changed the filters. I just received the filters from you last week and changed them on Saturday, the old filters were a year old, and yes we have well water, but the water is not that bad, a little iron and it's hard, no smell or bad taste.

I just wasn't sure about what Carbon filter I should order, as the two I mention in my original post both say they have a flow rate of 4 GPM. The one I replaced didn't have a part number so I guessed with the .5 micron. Not sure if I should just order a 20 micron or look to up the pressure in my tank.

Thanks for your help.

Jerid
    Hi Jerid,

Thanks for the additional information. Based on what you've stated I would say that yes, the CBC-BB might not be the right filter for your set up. It is a carbon block filter, so picture water trying to be pushed through a solid block of carbon, it's good for removing more contaminants because the water has more contact time with the media, but it would indeed slow the flow down. Whereas the GAC-BB is made of Granular Activated Carbon, a looser media. If you want to use the CBC-BB you will have to boost the pressure somehow. However, please note that it will only reduce the contaminants it claims to reduce at a flow rate of up to 4 Gallons per minute. You see, 4 GPM doesn't mean the filter can't allow water to pass through any quicker than 4 GPM, it just basically means that the filter will do what it claims to do up to 4GPM. Hope this helps.
    Roxanne Crawford
    FiltersFast
    www.filtersfast.com
    866-438-3458

Thanks, I ordered the other filter.