This is for a house in Maine running off well water. I bought a kit from Lowe's to test the water ($10) and it had basic tests. Results:
Chlorine = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Copper = 0
Alkalinity = 80 ppm
Ph = 6.5
Hardness = 3 grains / 50ppm
Iron = 3ppm
I think there is rust in the water. It will clog sink taps and shower heads with a orange/red muck. When you first turn the water on in a shower (white floor) you can actually see a reddish tint to the water, although it clears up a little as you run it. Light clothes get stained a orange/pink color.
When you're taking a shower, you can actually smell a "rust" odor if that makes any sense. It's not really a rotten egg, smells like a rusty bumper or something.
I'm only here a week and would like to do something to help my mother-in-law out with this, so I really need to find something local... Kind of limits me to Lowes or Home Depot.
1. What does it sound like my problem is?
2. I do not need a water softener, right?
3. Lowes has this: http://www.ecodyne.org/cwfs/ Is it a possible solution? I could put a sediment filter before this to get rid of rust (or whatever I have)
4. Lowes also has a $150 Whirlpool RO system I could possibly put on the kitchen sink, but would I need this if I got the above?
5. Do I just need a whole house sediment filter?
I'm trying to do this as economically and quickly as possible. People in this area say they've gotten a plumber to install a $1500 system. I'm guessing it something like the Aquasana EQ-300.
Any help would greatly be appreciated to point me in the right direction.